Louise's Reviews > Burned Alive: A Survivor of an "Honor Killing" Speaks Out

Burned Alive by Souad

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction

This was a harrowing book to read! To think that in this day and age people can act so barbaric and commit unspeakable crimes against loved ones is truly horrendous. I am so stunned at Souad’s story that I don’t feel I could do her justice by writing my own review. What this woman has been through is atrocious, frightful, appalling and extremely sad. I wouldn’t want in any way to shame Souad or make her feel that I said something in my review to hurt her feelings so I will leave you with the synopsis on the back of the book.

“When Souad was seventeen she fell in love. In her West Bank village, as in so many others, sex before marriage is considered a grave dishonour to one’s family and is punishable by death. This was her crime. Her brother-in-law was given the task of meting out her punishment. One morning while Souad was washing the family’s clothes, he poured gasoline over her and set her on fire.

Miraculously, she survived, rescued by women of her village, who put out the flames and took her to a local hospital. Horribly burned over seventy percent of her body and still denounced by her family, Souad was able to receive the care she needed only after the intervention of a European aid worker. Now in permanent exile from her homeland, she has decided to tell her story and reveal the barbarity of a practice that continues to this day.

BURNED ALIVE is the first true account ever published by a victim of an “honor crime.” Souad’s inspiring testimony is a shocking, moving, and harrowing story of cruelty and incomparable courage...and an inspiring call to action to end a heinous tradition.”

I give Souad a standing ovation for having the strength and courage to tell her story. To stand up and be counted both as a woman and a human being and to be immensely proud of who she is and what she has accomplished...my heart and my prayers will be with you always, Souad!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burned Alive.

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•* I just finished this and it so sad.

Louise Daisy*•.♥.•* wrote: "I just finished this and it so sad."

Iknow, Daisy. It was VERY sad but still a good book. I almost felt bad like I was reading it as this poor person's expense. Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,