Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > Alanna: The First Adventure

Alanna by Tamora Pierce

Loved this! I am seriously smacking myself for not picking it up sooner. And all because it was labeled as MG, even knowing that the later books are not. I know for a fact there are some great middle grade novels out there, but for whatever reason, it's like pulling teeth to get me to read them.

I've been in kind of an audiobook funk. I've listened to the awesome books I've been waiting ages for, obviously, and love them, but in between those, I've had some serious trouble picking up audiobooks that I've actually loved recently. This happened around the time I binged the Seven Realms series, and that helped. So, I thought, hey, why not do that again with another fantasy series that everyone seems to love but that you've so far missed out on? And so my decision to finally read Alanna was made. Of course, then I had to wait for my library to have the audiobook available. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And now that I've read it, I am regretting waiting so long. I would have LOVED reading this as a kid! I loved reading it as an ADULT. I fully intend on buying the series in book form to share with my daughter when she's a little bit older. It's that kind of book.

There's a gender-bending girl who wants to be raised as a knight, not be shipped off to the monastery to be raised a lady. So, she convinces her brother to go along with her plan, and she takes his place at the palace and he hers at the monastery, where he can practice sorcery. It's a win-win! But Alanna is 11 when she first leaves home, and she's about to go through a multitude of changes that will make concealing her true identity all the more difficult. That premise is made of so much win I can't contain myself!

Alanna is plucky and hard-working, but also hard on herself. I don't necessarily think that characters in books need to be good role models, but Alanna would be a great character to look up to. I love her story so much that as soon as I finished the first book, I immediately started the second. And now I have to go check the library to see if the next book is available because I'm afraid I'll finish book two very soon and I don't want it to end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alanna.

December 16, 2015 – Started Reading
December 16, 2015 – Shelved
December 16, 2015 –
1.0% "Finished my other listens and my hold on the audio at the library finally came through and so THIS IS FINALLY HAPPENING! :D"
December 17, 2015 –
50.0% "I'm having so much fun with this one that I sometimes forget it's a MG novel. Which is perfect since that's the main reason I put off reading it for so long. ;)"
December 17, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-faves
December 17, 2015 – Shelved as: magic-time-travel
December 17, 2015 – Shelved as: middle-grade
December 17, 2015 – Shelved as: why-am-i-just-now-reading-this
December 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie I love your review! I think I'll see if my library can get the audio version. I'll be sure to request in threes! I need a good audio series.

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) I LOVE bingeing series as much as I love bingeing shows. This one is actually four books, and I think each one is better than the one before it. So much fun, especially for a series I initially dismissed because it was considered middle grade.