Dannii Elle's Reviews > Talon

Talon by Julie Kagawa

it was ok
bookshelves: fantastic-fabrications, romantic-recollections

I was genuinely excited to begin this book and, judging by the synopsis, I felt it had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, I was left disappointed for a large portion of the book. The premise of a book about a teenage dragon assimilating to life amongst the human race, whilst in her human form, was intriguing, but whilst reading, this felt like more of a straight-forward romance for the most part. Romance, as a main theme in novels, is ordinarily not my thing and I felt myself getting bored of all the coyness, teen angst and love at first sight. It felt like the fantastical element were almost surplus to the romantic overdose on times.

I felt like the central portion of the novel was almost solely dedicated to an endless sea of love scenes and any forward movement in the plot was halted. The last 30% of the novel really picked up, for me, and I felt myself once more invested in the outcome of the novel. I still can't ignore that I felt like this novel could really have been halved in size and made much more impactful.

I also disliked that the human female characters were displayed as vapid and shallow with an interest only in clothes and cute boys, and it annoyed me that there wasn't a more meaningful representative for the female human race. It seemed like all the humans, in fact, were displayed as fun-loving, talkative and easy-going. Not a bad thing, in itself, but there was a lack of deep conversation and real bonds being made beyond their love of the beach and the junk food served there. If our main character was on such an advanced level to this then why did she continue to form bonds with these air-headed individuals? I would have liked to form more of an emotional investment with the characters, but I felt it difficult when I was only given this side to them.

I will continue with the series as I am interested to see where the novel goes but I am hesitant that it will only have more of the same superfluous love scenes and little actual plot development. This is probably due to my own personal tastes, in relation to romance novels, so please don't take this review as a verbatim portrayal of the novel. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in romance with a light speckling of fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talon.

December 16, 2015 – Shelved
December 16, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 10, 2016 – Started Reading
May 11, 2016 –
6.0% "I feel like I can already partially tell where the story is going..."
May 11, 2016 –
31.0% "Uhh, no, please don't be insta-love!"
May 11, 2016 –
50.0% "Ugh, boy drama! Where has my fantasy novel gone?"
May 11, 2016 –
63.0% "I am enjoying this a lot more now that the plot seems more focused and the love elements seem to have taken a little more of a back-seat."
May 11, 2016 –
69.0% ""The human race is weak and self-destructive, and the only thing they know how to do is destroy.""
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: fantastic-fabrications
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: romantic-recollections
May 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Jilly (new)

Jilly I haven't seen many good reviews on this one. I'll pass. Great review, though! :)

Dannii Elle Jilly wrote: "I haven't seen many good reviews on this one. I'll pass. Great review, though! :)"

The second book definitely improves and I ended up quite enjoying it but I can't say I was much taken with this one. Thank you :)

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace Robinson I loved her Immortal Rules books so much better! But I've only read the first one in this series!

Dannii Elle Candace wrote: "I loved her Immortal Rules books so much better! But I've only read the first one in this series!"

I've been going through my old reviews and have no idea why I originally rated this as 3.5 stars when I disliked so much of it. I've altered quite a few reviews and realised how much my reading tastes have altered. I think I would have loved this had I read it a few years earlier so may give her other stuff a try :)

message 5: by Orangehead (new) - added it

Orangehead Wow, I completely agree! Many other reviews I've read here are disappointed with the book, but I feel like yours actually point out not only the predictable plot line, but the little character development and lack of meaningful relationships. And the extremely unoriginal love triangle-- ugh! I agree, it seems to be the main focus, makes the novel mostly romance YA rather than fantasy. Then again, I guess that's how most YA books are today: very teen angst-y and "rebellious" and revolving around love interests and love complications, instead of their actual genre. I can't help but expect better, although recently I've resorted to expecting it, but be hopefully pleasantly surprised if the book doesn't fall into the lovey-dovey Romance black hole. I'll still read the next book, and hopefully things do improve from there!