Chris Evans's Reviews > Staked

Staked by Kevin Hearne

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy

One of the charming things about the Iron Druids books is that thin line Hearne walked with Atticus between hipster doushebag and endearing character. It worked because the hipster stuff was mostly just the external stuff, while he was actually an unapologetic and joyful, arcane warrior most of the time. While that's still true, he seems to be tipping more and more towards the doushebag side of the line.

Owen is... fine, but his POV needs to be used very sparingly, and it needs to be used properly. Owen is at his most interesting when he's doing his detective thing and least interesting when he's fighting or doing romance stuff. Unfortunately, this book has much more of the later and barely any of the former.

Granuaile... I've never liked her very much to be honest. Where Atticus is discuised as a hipster doushebag with an interesting character underneath, Granuaile is just a hipster doushebag that sometimes hit's things with a stick. I cringe every time they switch to her POV because she's just so obnoxious and self righteous. This is made worse in this book especially where he adds a little interlude where she takes personal revenge on her Captain Planet Villain of a step father (He's literally described as laughing when animals die in oil spills). She's now determined to destroy every oil and coal company in the world. My guess is Hearne is simply going to hand wave away the absolute economic catastrophe and massive loss in human life doing that would have. It's now a race, who will destroy the world first, Loki or Granuaile?

The story it's self was just meh and kind of unfocused. I guess the main plot is about vampires, but it jumps all over the place. About 2/3rds of the way through the book I found myself wondering what the story was supposed to be about as it didn't really follow a single coherent narrative and was more like a collection of short stories. I get that he's setting up future books, but it was just so clunky.

3/5 stars for story
-1 star for Granuaile

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Staked.

December 16, 2015 – Shelved
December 16, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 28, 2016 – Started Reading
January 29, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 14, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Daniel Exactly! I understand that we are reading a book about druids, but Hearne's never until now written anything that is tantamount to beating his readers over the head with his ideology. This is the reason I decided to quit reading anything by Steve Alten. His latest book was an absolute mess that served as a flimsy plotline in which he could rant about the evils of big oil, republicans... and alien republicans. I really do enjoy Hearne, but like you I feel like Granuille is an outlet to vent his inner left wing thoughts. I don't care about his politcal beliefs or Alten's for that matter. I just don't like to feel like I'm being preached at by a fictional character up on her soapbox

message 2: by Chris (last edited Feb 12, 2016 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris Evans That's pretty much the entire ending of Sword of Truth series. The character literally monologues about morality and how things should be. It was one of the most irritating things I ever read. The Artemis Fowl books were getting preachy too.

I don't mind the character trait, per say, but the de-railing of the story was a huge black mark. That and Granuaile is particularly obnoxious. What really worries me is the way Hearne is having her try to turn Atticus into an Eco Warrior too. I'm wondering if a big focus of the next book is going to be them forming an AVALANCHE type Eco-Terrorism group. I wouldn't put it past him to make Loki a big oil executive and have Ragnarok turn into some kind of pollution Armageddon.

Daniel Granuaile going full on eco warrior would have been fine by itself. Her spending so much time justifying her actions ended up just turning the character into a mouthpiece for the author. I felt like I was having a guilt trip laid upon me.

Chris Evans That's a good point. Atticus did do something similar in Tricked, but it didn't come off obnoxious for that very reason.

Nathanael Wagers Agreed. This book took Atticus and really made him out to be a "fool" more than anything else.