Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > The Paper Swan

The Paper Swan by Leylah Attar

The Paper Swan by Leylah Attar is one of the most eloquently written, completely engrossing, and utterly breathtaking books that I have had the pleasure of reading. My words will not do this book, its beauty, its power, and its overall amazingness the justice that it truly deserves. They won't even come close to capturing what it was to read this book, what it was like to be pulled so fully into the words it so intensely gave , what it was like to feel every ounce of what this book so authentically gave, what it was like to read pure literary perfection.

My words won't come close to capturing the literal amazingness that is The Paper Swan, but I am sure going to try to tell you why you need this book in your life, and why you must read it this very instant.

This book was one of the most all consuming reads I've read. It hooked me in right from the start in one of the most intense openings I've read too. You hit the ground running in this book, and are thrown right into the thick of it, which pulls your heart and mind into it all right from the start. From there the thoughtfully crafted and so phenomenally written story unfolds across decades of times and more than one country, telling an unforgettable love story filled with love, hope, hate, pain, vengeance, redemption, and so much more.

I don't want to reveal too much of the intricate plot of this story because you really need to go into it and experience it for yourself. You need to let this book, these characters, the varied and well thought out feelings and plot consume you. You need to let this book move you. You need to let it overtake your mind and your heart and your soul as it all comes together and pulls you in with every outstanding and all-feeling word. I can't say enough how gripping and captivating this book was. The story that it so brilliantly gives you is one you've never read before and one you will never forget. Trust me. This book is so fantastically unique, so moving, so thought provoking, so all-feeling and emotional and intense, and everything else in between.

Through every turn of the page more of the puzzle pieces of this beyond well plotted book come together. Each new page brings a new revelation, a new set of glorious feelings to bask in, and a million more questions and hopes and thoughts that you'll want answers too. Leylah Attar weaved together such an outstanding story will the perfect level of mystery and intrigue, grit and darkness, while also giving you light and hope and healing in a way that will truly leave you in awe of what she so breathtakingly created. This book will shock you, and it will move you beyond measure. It'll make you think and wonder and it'll riddle your mind until the cows come home, all while allowing you to feel and live and breathe and experience every unforgettable word it has to offer.

Simply put, this is one of the best books I have read this year and ever, and I know without a doubt that I will never forget what it so truly, beautifully, and superbly gave me as I read and fully experienced its amazingness.

This is the first book that I have read by Leylah Attar, but I know that it will not be the last. Her beyond beautiful writing made this book the fantastic thing that it is. The way she weaved together her words, every wonderful and well thought out layer of this book, along with her authentic and immensely endearing characters is out of this world phenomenal. She allows you to not only feel every ounce of what this book has to offer, she takes you along with these characters through it all. She lets you understand them, she takes you with them through years of their lives, seeing what led them to their current predicaments, and through it all she allows that understanding and love of their characters to cultivate and grow in the best way.

She invests you in them. She makes you love and hate them. She lets them shock you, she lets them blow you away with everything they have, she lets them move you in more ways than one. The journey you go on with the characters in this book is truly remarkable. Like I said, I have never read a book quite like this one, and that is just part of what makes it so exceptional. Part of that exceptional journey in this book comes from what you get from these characters. Their story spans decades, crosses borders, and takes them both to places they never thought they'd be. The events of this book push them both, change them both in so many ways, and sets them both on paths they never saw coming.

I am telling you now that what you get from their characters as this story unfolds and as it all comes together will have you so beyond emotionally invested in them both. It'll show you who their characters really are. It'll show you their real selves, who they let themselves become, and what happens when that mirror is placed in front of them and they're forced to really take a look at themselves in their lives. Their story is wrought with ups and downs and more twists and turns than you can shake a stick at, and through it all you will be with them living and loving and experiencing every unforgettable bit.

The Paper Swan is hands down one of the best books I've ever read. It gave me a story that was unique, captivating to say the least, and gave me every single aspect that makes a book extraordinary to experience and read. It gave me two characters that I completely loved and rooted for from beginning to end. It showed me their truest selves, their breaking points, and the hope and pain that so permeated their lives. It let me go along with them through it all in this book, and I for one cannot say thank you enough to Leylah Attar for allowing me that incredible journey with her characters. I will never forget it. Ever.

The more this book unfolded, the more I loved it. The more I read the more it moved me, the more it left me in awe, and the more it took over my mind, body, and soul in the most fulfilling way. I can't say enough how much this book gave me. It consumed me, it filled my mind and heart with every intensity it had to offer. It connected me to these characters in the most authentic way, and it allowed me a truly unique and unforgettable reading experience. I didn't just read this story. I lived it. With these characters, with the immense emotions and feelings they had, with every heartbeat I was there with them and that is all because of the superb story that Leylah Attar so phenomenally created.

The Paper Swan is a story about a lot of things, and all of those things come together so remarkably and so breathtakingly that you will truly be mesmerized by it all through every word. This book tells a story of darkness and pain and vengeance that can consume you, change you, and ultimately change your world and the path you're on. It also tells a story of light and hope and redemption that can happen when you truly let those things take root and see what could be. The Paper Swan has the perfect level of love story, mystery and intrigue, hope and fight, healing and redemption, darkness and grit, and through it all you will be reminded why this book is truly exceptional.

The meaning and messages that burst from this book will bring tears to your eyes, will fill your heart, and will have you even more invested in it all. This book shows you the true power of love. How it can change you, how it can move you, how it can ultimately lead you to so many places. The Paper Swan is a true honest to goodness love story, and while unconventional and remarkable to say the least, at the end of the day that love story will blow you away with everything it has. Trust me. It doesn't get much better than this book.

The Paper Swan is truly in a league of its own. Period. Books like this one remind me why I love reading. Books like this one that make you think and feel and hope with everything you have and that give you such an extraordinary reading experience remind me again and again the power and beauty and mesmerizing power of a good book.

The Paper Swan is a good book through and through. Through every moment it is exceptional. It gives you it all, and it is not to be missed, so please, I beg of you, read this book. Let it win you over with everything it has. Let is mesmerize you, let it enrapture you, let it make you feel and think and breathe through every exceptional bit, and in the end you will be beyond fulfilled by what it so beautifully and breathtakingly gave you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Swan.

Quotes Megan Liked

Leylah Attar
“I want to remember this,” he said, pulling me into his arms. “If I die tonight, I want to die remembering what it was like to hold the whole world in my hands.”

Leylah Attar
“Because when we love, we carry it on the inside, and we can turn on its light even in our darkest moments. The deeper we love, the brighter it shines.”

Leylah Attar
“We are sand and rock and water and sky, anchors on ships and sails in the wind. We are a journey to a destination that shifts every time we dream or fall or keep or weep. We are stars with flaws that still sparkle and shine. We always strive, always want, always have more questions than answers, but there are moments like these, full of magic and contentment, when souls get a glimpse of the divine and quite simply, lose their breath.”

Leylah Attar
“It’s not over, you know. It never has been,” he said. “Whether you say yes or no, you will always be my forever.”

Leylah Attar
“You don’t always get the treasure by holding on. Sometimes the magic happens when you let go.”

Leylah Attar
“there is no space too dark or too vast or too irredeemable that can’t be filled with love.”

Leylah Attar
“Just sitting here thinking how far you’ve come, and I’m overwhelmed with how much I love you.”

Leylah Attar
“You can either choose love or you can choose hate, because where one lives, the other will die.”

Leylah Attar
“In the grand scheme of things, we do the best we can, all of us, and we make up our stories as we go along; we write them and direct them and project them into the world. And sometimes we get other people’s stories, and sometimes we don’t, but always there is a story behind a story behind a story, linked in a chain that we can only see a small part of, because it’s there when we’re born and it continues after we’re gone. And who can comprehend all of it in one lifetime?”

Leylah Attar
“Sometimes everything gets dismantled so something better can be pieced together.”

Started Reading