Paula's Reviews > The Way Meat Loves Salt: A Cinderella Tale from the Jewish Tradition

The Way Meat Loves Salt by Nina Jaffe

Feb 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: traditional-literature, multicultural

I liked this version of Cinderella. The father of three daughters wanted to know how much they loved him. Two daughters compared their love for him to jewels and material things. The other daughter told him she love him like meat loves salt. The father was apparently offended by that and threw her out of the house. She had to fend for herself on the streets and became a beggar. She ended up marrying a prince. I thought that her response to her dad, "I love you the way meat loves salt" was appropriate. I dont think she was trying to be funny at all. Her answer was straight to the point. The lesson in the story is you can show your love for someone other than giving them material things. I would use this book with students 3-6. After reading them the story you can pose questions such as what are some ways you can show you love someone, or do you think showing your love for someone should be through material things only. Nice illustrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way Meat Loves Salt.