Jessica (Chronicles of a Book Nerd)'s Reviews > Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick Riordan

Feb 08, 2011

Recommended for: Greek Mythology Fans
Read from February 08 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The Percy Jackson series is about a teenage boy named Percy Jackson, a dyslexic student with ADHD who has been kicked out of several schools and branded a troublemaker for events that occur that are beyond his control - such as blowing up the school's band room. Percy has no idea why these things happen to him until the age of 12, when he discovers that he is in fact a demigod and a son of one of the "Big Three" - Poseidon.

Percy embarks on a series of adventures with his fellow demigods to protect their safe haven, Camp Half Blood and save Western Civilization from destruction by the Titans. Along the way Percy encounters many monsters and mythological creatures who both help him and try to kill him. Percy's destiny comes into question upon hearing the Great Prophecy about a demigod whose final decision will either save the world and the Olympians or destroy the world.

I rather enjoyed the series even though it is written for a younger age group. I enjoyed the many references to Greek Mythology and loved how the author incorporated them into the story. It is a classic hero story with all the essential elements - prophecy, destiny, friendship, betrayal, loss, and love, with a few twists and turns. If you liked Harry Potter and enjoy mythology I would recommend this series to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set.