Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Unraveled

Unraveled by Jennifer Estep

4561998

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

It’s been 9 books since Gin Blanco’s last vacation, and we all know how THAT turned out! I loved the old West theme behind UNRAVELED, the continuation of Deirdre’s plot line from the previous installment, and how Fletcher Lane’s legacy still lives on. Even though I couldn’t resist the lure of an advanced review copy, I’ll probably purchase the audio because Lauren Fortgang’s twang + cowboys = a match made in heaven.

Jennifer Estep has attempted to end this series on several occasions, and yet fans keep demanding more, so once again she’s put to the test by having to craft a villain that makes Mab Monroe, Salina Dubois, Harley Grimes, and M. M. Monroe look like kittens. Add to that the challenge of creating an antagonist with long-term nemesis potential, and a deep rooted history of animosity with the heroine. Presenting… The Circle!

As the name suggests, the Spider has a group of new foes to contend with, and in this novel readers get their first real taste of Hugh Tucker. He spent most of his time in the shadows pulling Brody & Roxy’s strings, but it made for a disguise-wearing, gun-slinging, theme-park-showdown of a good time. There was a treasure hunt for Sweet Sally Sue’s jewels, a safety deposit box mystery to solve, and Gin got her face on her very own wanted poster.

This title also branched out a bit from the standard ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN cast; Blanco, Owen, Bria, & Finn were the main characters, however Silvio, Phillip, & Lorelei made the trip to Bullet Pointe as well as backup which was a nice change of pace from the usual secondaries. They picked up another ally along the way too in the form of Ira, the ex resort manager turned disgruntled employee whom I thoroughly enjoyed.

UNRAVELED was another notch in Jennifer Estep’s belt of writing excellence! ~ 4.5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveled.

December 14, 2015 – Shelved