Andrew Smith's Reviews > The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

The Dark Tower by Peter David

Feb 05, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Andrew by: The Minneapolis Airport bookstore
Recommended for: You probably know if you want to read this
Read in December, 2007

Let me start off by saying that I have just started reading the first book in the Dark Tower series. So, I am a bit of an outsider, I guess. The story was pretty well told. It is always a little bit awkward trying to grasp the made-up lingo of a new fantasy world, but I didn't find it too difficult to deal with. I will say, and people will hate me for this, that Jae Lee's artwork is a bit stale and honestly a little bit distracting. This isn't helped by Isanove's coloring, which I have always felt to be artificial and uhhhhh flowery. Overall, a decent read, and probably added a little to my interest in reading the whole series. Oh yeah, a little story: About a year ago a couple of friends and I were held up at gunpoint in Bed Stuy. During which we were all asked to empty the contents of our pockets. One friend had a book in his jacket pocket. When the charming gun wielder asked what it was, he responded "a Stephen King book". I haven't clarified this with him because I was kind of caught up in the moment, but I think it was a Dark Tower book. The gun man's response was one of utter disappointment. I think he said something like, "I don't want that bullsh*t mutha scutha! What else you got!" So, in the future if you decide to go to a punk show in a slightly rough neighborhood, make sure to hide your money in whatever Stephen King novel that you may have lying around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tower.