Nancy Shaffer's Reviews > Planetfall

Planetfall by Emma Newman

10209485

liked it
bookshelves: interstellar

** spoiler alert ** I've decided that, "My science fiction is pasted on, yay!" stories make me cranky. These are stories that could just have easily have been set in early 21st century Earth, but are instead plopped onto another planet, or a ship or station in space. The mechanisms of travel between stars aren't even hand-waved, they're just not mentioned at all. The aliens are Obscure, or are referred to as "human."

Renata Ghali is a complex character, and even I was taken in by Sung Suh's mild manner, but that doesn't make this story any less an episode of Hoarders set in a town so small it's boggling that no one could have known about a community leaders/home-builders problem for over twenty years.

Yes, buried secrets (literally). Stress. A mysterious alien artifact. But all that leads up to one of those obscure endings that leaves you not satisfied, but scratching your head wondering how to interpret exactly what happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planetfall.

December 13, 2015 – Shelved
December 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 9, 2016 – Started Reading
February 10, 2016 – Shelved as: interstellar
February 10, 2016 –
February 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine So no actual "science" in the science fiction?

Nancy Shaffer It depends on what she's talking about. She skips how interstellar travel works while going into much more detail about biology.

A lot of detail about engineering as well, and volumes on character's psychology.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Reminds me of Maria Doria Russell's The Sparrow - the writer was a biological/cultural anthropologist - so she focused on that, and not on the engineering of space travel.

Drove one of my friends, who is a huge sci-fi fan, nuts. Didn't bother me as much - because I was cultural anthropologist/psychology fan -- and that was the focus.