Fox's Reviews > Magicians of the Gods: The Forgotten Wisdom of Earth's Lost Civilization

Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock

1702050

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, history, non-fiction, anthropology, 2016

Oh, Graham Hancock, how I enjoy you.

I received this book, happily, as an ARC from the GoodReads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review.

The focus of Magicians of the Gods is Hancock's belief that the end of the Younger Dryas period was caused by a celestial impact. This asteroid strike, or multiple strikes as he believes that it split in the atmosphere, was primarily focused upon the ice shelf at the Canadian/US border and created the scablands that we see there today. So, what does that mean?

In Hancock's mind this impact, some 10,600 years ago, was what triggered the floods we see in old myths, the apocalypses of a myriad of ancient cultures, and what caused the collapse of a now-lost civilization (possibly Atlantis) that caused the survivors to spread out and gift their advanced technological prowess to the other cultures.

Now, where is the proof of this? Hancock finds it in monuments he believes to be older than they seem. Baalbek, Gobekli Tepe, the Easter Island Moai, Indonesian megaliths, etc. The book is a survey of ancient sites as much as it is trumpeting his hypothesis. Whether or not you believed in the YD impact theory, it is worth a glimpse or two for the gorgeous photographs taken by his wife at the various sites. More than simply ancient Egypt, this book surveys commonly overlooked sites and makes a good case for a re-examination of some of them.

I enjoyed this book. While I don't subscribe to the ideas of genetic manipulation existing that far back, I do believe there are many cases where archaeologists could reexamine some evidence. I do believe, also, that it would be worth it to do deeper surveys of un-studied places such as Indonesia. I don't find the idea of lost civilizations that unusual, and I think for the most part, Hancock is good about what he postulates.

Even if you don't agree with Hancock, at least read the bits where he references Sitchin and crushes the hopes of Ancient Astronaut Theorists everywhere by revealing faulty translations.

God, I love that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magicians of the Gods.

December 13, 2015 – Started Reading
page 49
December 14, 2015 –
page 109
page 133
25.19% "Zoroastrianism is incredibly interesting and I'd really love to read a more comprehensive text about it.. consider this a note to remind me to do so in the future."
page 174
32.95% "The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor was fascinating and reminded me a bit of the stories of Hy-Brasil."
page 239
January 5, 2016 –
page 256
48.48% "Hancock just insulted ancient alien theorists. I'm deeply amused."
January 8, 2016 –
page 528
January 8, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
January 8, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mike Marsbergen He cites Michael Heiser, a guy with an obvious Christian agenda who's made it his mission to latch onto Sitchin's name whenever and wherever possible (case in point: his website, SitchinIsWrong.com). Not exactly unbiased and entirely trustworthy.

message 2: by Fox (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fox Mike wrote: "He cites Michael Heiser, a guy with an obvious Christian agenda who's made it his mission to latch onto Sitchin's name whenever and wherever possible (case in point: his website, SitchinIsWrong.com..."

Oh, not unbiased or trustworthy at all, but still entertaining.