Pili's Reviews > Blackhearts

Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman

bookshelves: 2016-debuts-challenge, 2016-netgalley-edelweiss-challeng, arcs

Blackhearts was initially not one of my most awaited debuts of the year, I cannot pinpoint why because I like stories about pirates but for some reason I was a bit undecided. But then I saw a few super positive reviews for it and Sarah (The YA Book Traveller) made her book trailer and I was absolutely pumped for the book!

Being approved after being not approved for it my Simon Pulse on EW seemed like a sign that I had to read the book ASAP, and so I did! And guess what? Another fantastic debut that I'm beyond glad I didn't miss!

Just keep one thing in mind, Blackhearts is not a story about pirate adventures, pillage and battles. Blackhearts is all about the unknown and untold backstory of Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard.

Blackhearts is a character driven novel, told in dual POV from both Teach and Anne Barrett. Anne is mixed race and is employed as a maid at Teach's father's house, but she's got too much spirit for a maid and her looks set her apart and make people suspicious or underestimate her. At first that makes her clash with Teach but soon enough that changes.

Teach has just returned from spending a year at sea and he doesn't want to go back to fold into his father's expectations and society's norms. He wants to return to be the man he was on the ship, where he was valued for himself and the choices he made, not the choices others make for him, or climbing the social ladder.

Teach and Anne first meetings are rather clashing and quite fun to read about too. And the way their relationship progressed from Anne hitting him (not on him) to them finding they understand each other much better than they could ever expect given their different backgrounds.

I loved the setting and how very much immersed into the story and the time I was. And I was so very easily drawn to both Teach and Anne and their budding relationship. I really appreciated Anne's fierceness and determination and Teach's open mindness and the way he looked at people's worth as themselves and not their social status or connections.

The ending was quite open and rather cruel too, and I'm really hoping there will be a sequel so we'll get a bit more on the story of Teach and Anne, and a bit more of pirate adventures too! Still, very much deserved 4 stars for this debut! Don't miss it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackhearts.

December 13, 2015 – Shelved
December 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 13, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-debuts-challenge
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-netgalley-edelweiss-challeng
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: arcs
January 10, 2016 – Started Reading
January 10, 2016 –
25.0% "I was just gonna read a chapter or two and damn, I'm hooked already!"
January 10, 2016 –
50.0% "Hmmm, I wonder how everything is gonna play out now..."
January 10, 2016 –
82.0% "These two are killing me!! Gaaaah!!"
January 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Caitlyn Hi!

Pili Caitlyn wrote: "Hi!

How far does the romance go, in terms of more intimate scenes? I'm not entirely comfortable with those. :) Thanks so much!!"

It's mostly slow burn, very in depth emotional connection but not much in terms of physical.

Caitlyn Pili wrote: "Caitlyn wrote: "Hi!

It's mostly slow burn, very in depth emotional con..."

Thanks! This was incredibly helpful. :)

Lisa Mandina Very cruel ending!! I need more!!