❆ Crystal ❆'s Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

19080180

bookshelves: g-non-fiction, library

4 stars. This is an event in history that I never knew about. In 1975 The Khmer Rouge overthrew the government and over the next 4 years killed an estimated 2,000,000 Cambodians by murder, torture, and starvation. Loung was age 5 when this began with her family consisting of Ma, Pa and 6 brothers and sisters ranging in age of 3 to 18. Loung tells this heart-breaking story through the eyes of a 5 year-old who is trying to understand what is happening and why. This is a story of her amazing survival when all hope seemed to be lost.
I admire the author as she was true to herself... she didn't always paint herself in the best light. Her struggles were real, and the fact that she was able to survive is just amazing. I was also age 5 in 1975 so this was even more impactful to me. As I remember how wonderful my life was at that age and how it could all be taken away at a moments notice. Her family was extremely brave and strong. I really enjoyed reading this story and I plan to read the next book by the author. I wish her and her family all the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.

December 13, 2015 – Shelved
January 20, 2016 –
January 22, 2016 –
January 23, 2016 –
January 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol One of the most memorable films ever for me was The Killing Fields and I am sure that this story is heartbreaking too. Thanks for the review

❆ Crystal ❆ I haven't seen that yet Carol... I should watch it. I was interested in this book because Angelina Jolie said she was moved by the book and is going to start production on the movie later this year. It is definitely worthy of a movie.