Jimmy's Reviews > The Silver Hearted

Feb 08, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: gay-fiction, spurned
Read in May, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I really did not care for this novel all that much. I believe that it comes down to that it just was not the novel I thought it was going to be. I found it difficult to get into from the beginning. I kept asking myself, “What?!” Perhaps the author’s style of writing was something of a turn off for me. It felt like I was trying too hard to stay or keep up with David McConnell. Finally, some small relief came at chapter four. However, by the end of the fast read novel, I felt that I should re-read the first three chapters again to fully understand the why of the actions of the twenty-dollar sailor. I don’t believe that I will read another of David McConnell’s books again. I also don’t have any desire to keep this book on my shelf for a future read. I got through it, which I promised myself, and that is all I can justly do for it.
The narrator is hired by a questionable casino owner to transport boxes of silver coins amounting to $200,000 US dollars. As if it isn’t hard enough to be caught with this many curious boxes, he must do this in the political revolution of a very poor port city. With the aid of his twenty-dollar sailor, the narrator is able to get the treasure out of the fighting in Z. Can he get the boxes to his employer when the police, the young twenty-dollar sailor, and other questionable men are looking for him and the missing gold, not silver?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Hearted.

02/26/2016 marked as: read