Ben Mason's Reviews > Broken Angels

Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan

Feb 08, 2011

Read in February, 2011

This is the second Takeshi Kovacs novel I read, and it bears almost no resemblance to the first one. The first one is a detective mystery and this one is like a King Solomon's Mines-type adventure story. Sure, the sci-fi in the universe is the same, and Kovacs is the same kind of ruthless bastard he was in the first, but they really are two totally different books. I have read another Richard K. Morgan novel, The Steel Remains, and it was yet a THIRD type of book, a Lord-of-the-Rings-but-the-hero-is-a-bad-person/bastard book. Which is funny because I've also read an essay by Mr. Morgan where is very, very insulting toward Tolkien and toward anyone who likes Tolkien. Which makes me think that Mr. Morgan is good at writing about bastards because he is one. I mean, it's one thing to say "I hated that book"—hell, I say that all the time. But to say "I hated that book—and unless you hated it too, you are stupid/ugly/fat", that's so 3rd grade. EVERYONE MUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE OR I AM THREATENED!!

Anyway, most of my enjoyment of this book (and the first one, to be honest) comes from how cool the universe is, and how cool the technology is. Basically, it's thousands of years in the future and we have learned how to digitize consciousness, so that everyone's personality (or soul) is kept in a "cortical stack" in the back of their neck, in a case which is impervious to most types of weaponry. Thus, people can be killed, and killed, and killed, but they don't disappear, they are just "resleeved". As you can imagine, this changes some long-ingrained human behavior and risk calculations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Angels.