Margie's Reviews > The ISIS Apocalypse: The History, Strategy, and Doomsday Vision of the Islamic State

The ISIS Apocalypse by William McCants

Despite its slightly over-egged title, this is a straightforward, easy-to-read account of what IS is, how it came about, and what it hopes to do. I was looking for something that didn't take a left/right view on IS and this filled the bill. There is so much hyperbole surrounding IS - our own former PM relished using his self-coined epithet "the Daesh death cult" at every possible opportunity. But while many of our freedoms and much of our privacy is being lost as governments take cynical advantage of the existence of IS, I wanted to try to find out the realities, and I think this book is a good place to start. Frankly, IS doesn't need any exaggeration. Even Al Qaeda severed all ties with IS because they didn't want IS "tarnishing Al Qaeda's brand" (!) a phrase that had me momentarily musing upon Bin Laden and the boys, in their caves, rapping about "leveraging their stakeholders" and "drilling down on their competencies". A small moment of levity (for me) in an otherwise uncheerful, but fascinating read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The ISIS Apocalypse.

December 12, 2015 – Started Reading