Nairabell's Reviews > The Haunted

1954980
Feb 08, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, teen-ya-paranormal, 5-star
Read from September 25 to 29, 2014 — I own a copy

Abbey has been desperately trying to forget Caspian, the boy she fell in love with only to discover he was already dead. Traumatised by the discovery and doubting her sanity Abbey left Sleepy Hollow for the summer, but now the summer is over and it is time for Abbey to return. At first she throws herself into her schoolwork and concentrates on her friendship with the definitely alive Ben. Then Caspian reappears in her life, and Abbey realises you can't outrun your destiny.

This is the second part of a trilogy that started with The Hollow. I loved the first book and was blown away by this one. The plot is deeper, with a focus on whether Caspian is real or if Abbey is losing her mind because of the stress of her best friend's death. I've never seen a paranormal book focus on the sanity of the lead character like this before, and it even makes the reader begin to doubt if Caspian is real.

All my favourite characters from the first book have returned, along with a selection of new characters. Many of the questions raised in The Hollow but not answered are answered here, although more questions are raised and left open. Kristen's secret boyfriend is revealed, Katy and Nicholas reveal how they came to be together and the choices they had to make and a whole new dimension is added with the idea of Revenants.

Again, there are twists scattered throughout the story that I didn't see coming and I loved how Abbey and Caspian's relationship developed. The book does have a shocking cliffhanger ending that made me really anxious to get hold of the last part of their story. Without spoilers, it's an incredible ending and I can't wait to see what happens next.

All in all this was an amazing read and I'm really looking forward to the final part of the trilogy (The Hidden) out in September.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunted.