Ronyell's Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Feb 07, 2011

bookshelves: english-books, historical-romance, lisa-kleypas, sexy-good-girl-heroine, british-hero-or-heroine, adult-book, my-blog-reviews, ronyell-s-epinions-reviews
Recommended for: Lisa Kleypas Fans!

Why is it every time that I read a book by Lisa Kleypas, I am always so into the characters and the situations that surrounds them? Well, the answer to that is that Lisa Kleypas is clearly a brilliant romance writer and reading many of her books has been an awesome experience that I have enjoyed doing over and over again! This time, I have read the first book in Lisa Kleypas’ “Wallflower” series called “Secrets of a Summer Night” and it is surely full of drama, thrills and hot romance that will surely put any romance fan in a soothing mood!

Annabelle Peyton, well known for being a wallflower in London society, vows to seek a worthy husband to cover her family’s debt since she does not have a dowry that would make her worthy in any nobleman’s eyes. However, Annabelle has her sights set on Lord Kendall, a lord who is currently unmarried, but suddenly, Annabelle realizes that Simon Hunt, a mysterious man that Annabelle met years ago, is also after her heart and plans to make Annabelle his alone! Will Annabelle allow Simon into her life? Read this book to find out!

Oh my goodness! Words cannot describe how much I loved this book from Lisa Kleypas’ popular “Wallflower” series! Lisa Kleypas has done an excellent job at writing this romantic tale of what true love is all about! What I really loved about this book were the characters themselves, especially Annabelle Peyton and Simon Hunt as they are both strong and interesting characters! Let me start with Simon Hunt first since I am really interested in his character. Simon Hunt is easily one of the best romance heroes ever created because not only does he have an awesome muscular body that makes him somewhat of a superhuman, but he has a heart full of gold as he deeply cares for Annabelle during her time of need and he is willing to put his life in the line if anything happens to Annabelle and it was that personality trait of Simon’s that made me really love his character. I have briefly mentioned about Simon’s muscular body and I just love any romance hero who has muscles of steel, especially in the case of Simon as Lisa Kleypas makes sure that the audience knows how hard Simon’s muscles are! Another character I really loved in this book was Annabelle Peyton herself as she is clearly a strong and independent woman who does not let anyone get in the way of her goal of obtaining a husband. I will admit at first that I got a little annoyed with Annabelle always dismissing Simon, even though it is clear from the get go that Simon is a seriously pleasant man, but once she found out what a gentle and loyal man Simon is, she cared as much for Simon as Simon did for her and I was just so amazed at the lengths that Annabelle took to protect Simon! I also loved the brief little relationship between Lord Westcliff and Lillian Bowman as they clearly hate each other, but I guess once I read the rest of the “Wallflower” series, they might change their tune. And let us not forget about the sizzling love making scenes between Annabelle and Simon as they are extremely out of this world hot and they provide the best love making dialogues I have ever read from any romance novel like:

“I want to make you scream and claw and faint in my arms.”

For anyone who do not like reading about sex scenes in a book, this book has many sex scenes between Annabelle and Simon and it would be best to skip over these scenes if they are uncomfortable to read through.

Overall, “Secrets of a Summer Night” is a clearly extraordinary book from the great romantic mind of Lisa Kleypas that all romance novel fans will enjoy for many years to come!

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

Quotes Ronyell Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“Annabelle’s eyes stung as she stared at him, while need and inexhaustible tenderness gathered like an ache in her body. “I realized something,” she said huskily, “when I was standing outside the foundry, watching it burn and knowing you were inside.” She swallowed hard against the thickness in her throat. “I would rather have died in your arms, Simon, than face a lifetime without you. All those endless years… all those winters, summers… a hundred seasons of wanting you and never having you. Growing old, while you stayed eternally young in my memories.” She bit her lip and shook her head, while her eyes flooded. “I was wrong when I told you that I didn’t know where I belonged. I do. With you, Simon. Nothing matters except being with you. You’re stuck with me forever, and I’ll never listen when you tell me to go.” She managed a tremulous smile. “So you may as well stop complaining and resign yourself to it.”
Lisa Kleypas, Secrets of a Summer Night

February 7, 2011 – Started Reading
February 7, 2011 – Shelved
February 8, 2011 –
page 30
8.0% "Getting really good so far!"
February 10, 2011 –
page 60
16.0% "Simon's threat from page 33: "I mean that I will afflict the most acute kind of pain, mental, physical, and financial, ont he first man who dares to trespass on my territory. And the next person who repeats any unsubstantiatiated rumors about Miss Peyton in my hearing will find it shoved right back in his throat - along with my fist." Way to tell them Simon!!!"
February 12, 2011 –
page 160
42.67% "Why is it everytime I read a book by Lisa Kleypas or Teresa Medeiros, I always read so fast? Poor Annabelle! She is deathly ill! I hope Simon can *ahem* cure her."
February 16, 2011 –
page 375
100.0% "Done!! Review soon to come!"
February 16, 2011 – Finished Reading
April 8, 2011 – Shelved as: british-hero-or-heroine
September 23, 2013 – Shelved as: adult-book
September 23, 2013 – Shelved as: my-blog-reviews
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: ronyell-s-epinions-reviews

Ronyell Yeah! That's why I love her books so much!!!

Autumn  great review Ronyell!!;)

Im so glad you enjoyed the book!! i hope u continue on with the series!.

Yeah Simon Hunt is a delight!! mmmm **dreamy look** He is honestly my favorite Hero of the wall flowers..BUT! CAM!!IS MY MAN without a doubt!!

Ronyell LOL!!! Thanks Autumn!!! Both Simon and Cam are awesome!! I am definitely looking forward to reading more of the Wallflower series!!

Rhonda Excellent review Ronyell!!!
Sounds like you've read the Hathaways.

Ronyell Yeah! I actually read Mine Til Midnight before I read this series, but now I'm glad that I did read Mine til Midnight cause now I know about Lillian and Lord Westcliff!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review Ronyell. I also read Mine till Midnight before I read this one. I'm kind of alternating them as I find them.

Rane Great Review Ronyell! *sighs over Simon*

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review, Ronyell! I love this entire series!

Linds The next in the series is even better....enjoy!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Great review, Ronyell. Simon is still my 2nd favorite LK hero!

Ronyell Thanks everyone!!! Simon is just so dreamy!! I'll have to definitely check out the rest of the series!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Love the review Ronyell, especially the bit about Simon's muscles, I completely agree LOL! : P

Ronyell Thanks Suzanne!! Simon's muscles made it worth the read!!!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, they certainly did! He is my fave hero in the Wallflower series, are you going on to read the next book?

Ronyell Yeah! I'm planning on reading It Happened One Autumn next!

Carolyn F. I loved this book too Ronyell - it's a great series.

Ronyell That's great Carolyn! So far, this series is pretty awesome!