Debbie's Reviews > Textual Healing

Textual Healing by Eric  Smith

Feb 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, 2011, review-copy, dead-tree
Recommended for: Soumya, who has his own apartment-destroying sugar glider incident
Read from February 08 to 11, 2011

As I had said in a previous status update, this is a really good book in search of a copy editor. I very much liked the book - it was quirky, fun, kept me engaged, not predictable at all, and Eric Smith had a great voice in his writing. So it was a bit disheartening to be periodically thrown out of the story by a missing comma, or a "through" instead of "threw." However, minor quibble. I acknowledge that I am overly anal when it comes to things of a grammar nature, so I deal with it and move on.

Textual Healing has a plot straight out of a screwball romantic comedy, only I don't think even Hollywood could have come up with some of the supporting characters here. It is the story of a once-famous author who is suffering from one-hit-wonderdom. And then his life falls apart. His long-time girlfriend leaves him, his best-selling book is collecting dust in the clearance section (way way WAY discounted), his used bookstore is sinking about as fast as the Titanic, and he gets tricked into joining a support group for lapsed writers. But then, enters a girl (there's always a girl, isn't there?), Hannah, who doesn't run away screaming from the weirdness in his life - such as the flower-shop-owning, haiku-spouting ninja; or the apartment-destroying sugar glider. (Intrigued yet?) I won't say more because it will spoil the plot.

Was this book perfect? No. I wasn't hipster enough to fully enjoy all the references to hipstery things, so I probably missed out on something there. The writing was also a little rough around the edges and could have used another couple rounds of editing and some tough love "Dude, lay off the pop culture references. You'll only date the story later."

I am glad I read it, though. And I've now killed any desire I might have ever had to own sugar gliders. Not that I had much - two rabbits and a cat are destructive enough as it is.

Review copy courtesy of the author

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Textual Healing.

02/09/2011 page 50
02/10/2011 page 67
24.0% "An engaging, funny book in search of a good copy editor. Not really a complaint most people will have but I'm somewhat pedantic about comma usage and homophones - okay, a bit (a lot) more than just somewhat pedantic, but leave me my river in Egypt, please!"
02/11/2011 page 112
40.0% "This book brings the QUIRK to the yard."
04/08/2016 marked as: read

Ishanie I stumbled upon your review in hopes that there was someone else out there that noticed the grammar errors! I wish I had time, or I'd edit it myself just to polish off how good it was :)