Misfits farm's Reviews > When Evil Calls Your Name

When Evil Calls Your Name by John  Nicholl

Dec 12, 2015

This is the story of Cynthia and her incarcerations. One in prison and one at the hands of a university lecturer who “persuades” her to study under him. Things go from bad to worse. The story is told as a diary that she is writing whilst in prison and has a very conversational style. Chapters alternate from what happened to her and her days in prison.
I instantly felt empathy for Cynthia and from just a couple of chapters could see the type of man he was going to be as the characters have such depth. A Machiavellian, narcissistic, demeaning, degrading psychopath.
We all meet controlling people one way or another during our lives and with a little thought (depending on your experiences) can see how someone could be so manipulated and controlled to the point of every thought. Why didn’t she escape? She explains that she did think of this but his words were so manipulative, and her self -esteem was so very low that this was an impossible hill to even contemplate climbing. When you measure place settings with a ruler and get told off for 2mm out, every waking and sleeping thought becomes about self -preservation.
The ending is thought provoking. (I won’t spoil it). Is this real?? You will have to read it to find out. I haven't read the first book and this is so well written that having just read the synopsis of it, I know that it would have given this one a different feel already knowing what the character was like. Jumping into book 2 gave me the innocence of not knowing his past history. Hence this is a stand alone book or a sequel which ever you prefer.
One of the best books I have read this year (145+ and counting). Intense, page turning, captivating and thought provoking. A stunning read.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an open and honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Evil Calls Your Name.