Bethany's Reviews > The Other Half of My Heart

The Other Half of My Heart by Sundee T. Frazier

Feb 07, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

Keira and Minni are twins--but not identical by a long shot. With an Irish-American dad and an African-American mother, Keira got her mother's dark skin and her dad's feisty temper while Minni got her mom's round eyes and her dad's red hair and freckle-pink skin. Strangers don't believe that they're sisters, let alone twins.

It's a very slow, plodding plot. The characters are never developed with the kind of complexity you might hope for, the only real plot device (a pageant) consumes the vast majority of the character's thoughts but very little of the action, and the few themes in the book are given an glaringly obvious spotlight every handful of pages. All together, the lack of real action and the heavy-handed theme reminders make the plot seem even more repetitive.

It does, however, get kudos for discussing biracial families and the difficulties of living in a culture that prefers definite, visible ethnic ties.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Half of My Heart.