Steev Hise's Reviews > Society of the Spectacle

Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord

bookshelves: politics
Recommended for: anyone who lives under modern capitalism

Last night while almost everyone in the known universe was watching the Superbowl I thought about this thin volume and its inarguable premise: That we live in a culture centered on watching and not doing, on consuming not creating.

I remember this to be a hard read, as all of Debord's work is. Even so I think it's about time I re-read it. I still have the copy I bought and read 20 years ago. It will be interesting to see if the passages I highlighted then are still the ones I find most compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Society of the Spectacle.

Quotes Steev Liked

Guy Debord
“The reigning economic system is a vicious circle of isolation. Its technologies are based on isolation, and they contribute to that same isolation. From automobiles to television, the goods that the spectacular system chooses to produce also serve it as weapons for constantly reinforcing the conditions that engender “lonely crowds.”
Guy Debord, The Society of the Spectacle

Guy Debord
“the spectacle is an affirmation of appearances and an identification of all human social life with appearances. But a critique that grasps the spectacle’s essential character reveals it to be a visible negation of life — a negation that has taken on a visible form.”
Guy Debord, Society of the Spectacle

Guy Debord
“But a lie that can no longer be challenged becomes insane.”
Guy Debord, The Society of the Spectacle