Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Make Your Home Among Strangers

Make Your Home Among Strangers by Jennine Capo Crucet

bookshelves: read2019, academia
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: http://www.themorningnews.org/article...

When you are one of the only Latina students at a prestigious liberal arts university, heading to college can be an incredible cultural shift. But it can be just as difficult to return home. Lizet tries to move between the worlds of her Cuban-American family in Florida and the very white Rawlings University where she is confronting an academic integrity violation. It's 1999, it's harder to stay connected, Cuban refugees are in the news, her parents have recently split up, and she is pulled in multiple directions.

A friend recommended this book on the Reading Envy Best of 2018 episode, and I knew I'd want to read it working in academia as I do. The author captures the tension of what all college students go through - forming their own identities, cutting apron strings and being punished for being the person to leave - magnified by being a first-generation college student, far from home, and without a lot of the advantages of her classmates. I also love that she's working in the library as her work-study job because I think this is a home many of our students who are from farther away find.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Your Home Among Strangers.

December 9, 2015 – Shelved