Erica Chilson's Reviews > Unmasking Zach

Unmasking Zach by Edie Danford

4182064

bookshelves: 4-star, college-student, construction, contemporary-romance, digital, disabilities, m-m, wickedreads

I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 stars

Genre: MM Romance | Contemporary Romance | Alpha & the twink | College student/manual labor | Disabilities |

Do you love warm and fluffy romance? Do you understand the necessary balance when an author pairs an uptight guy with a free-spirit? Then Unmasking Zach is probably the read for you.

Kirby is a sweet 19 yo, who has a bum leg and a few missing teeth. He's a loner with a bad past: drug addict mother and a religious father. Independent, living off the grid in a Yurt, a vegan, and terrified of houses. Not many jobs are offered for a guy like Kirby. His friend Ray offers him a job painting houses, and that's where he meets his love interest.

Zach is Mr. Serious. He's always lived his life reaching goal after goal, and making new ones as soon as they are realized. But he's never just stopped to smell the roses or look around himself. He needed someone to force him to live his life in the here and now, not in the future that may never come to fruition.

Together, Zach & Kirby are the perfect balance.

Sweet, heart-warming, funny but not over-the-top, Kirby was my favorite character of the story. His skin-hunger- a scene where he gets a massage was explosive to read. I will say, I enjoyed Kirby during his narration, but not so much during Zach's narration. There was a definite disconnect on how Kirby felt and thought about himself and how Zach saw him, and this gave me a bit of whiplash.

I'm on the fence on what rating to give Unmasking Zach. 5 stars? 4? 3? So I settled on 4 solid stars. There were many things that didn't work, but more that did. Overall, the only major drawback was that the book was drawn-out with repetition that didn't propel the story forward, but those scenes were still sweet, warm, and fuzzy. If Kirby fell down one more time, I was going to buy him an inflatable bubble to roll around in. During the climax, I feared another 'fall', but was thankful that wasn't the case.

Flaws or not, I was entertained the entire time, wanting more from the characters. Some books that should have been shorter have me thinking, "When will this end?" but that never occurred while I read Unmasking Zach.

I look forward to the next in the series. & as this was a review book, I jumped for it before realizing it was book #2 in a series. I'm looking forward to some downtime, where I'll grab my own copy to read, because Ray sounds like an intriguing character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unmasking Zach.

December 9, 2015 – Started Reading
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: disabilities
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: m-m
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: wickedreads
December 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

☆ Todd Book 3 was *really* good, if you haven't read it yet. : )

Erica Chilson I just read Unraveling Josh a few days ago and loved it. Thanks!

☆ Todd Erica wrote: "I just read Unraveling Josh a few days ago and loved it. Thanks!"

Yeah, I read Josh first and was impressed, so backtracking to Zach now. : )

Erica Chilson I read the books out of order too.
Zack, then back to Ray, and ending with Josh. Can't wait for more.