Sarah's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

bookshelves: 2016, fantasy, audience-middle-grade, setting-fantasy, on-my-shelf, 2019, reread
Recommended to Sarah by: Mari
Read 2 times. Last read September 13, 2019 to November 5, 2019.

Official Rating: 4.5 stars

Really, I think the only way to describe this book is 'delightful.' Because that's truly what it is. The story, the characters, the world, the writing. It's all just delightful.

It took me a few chapters to wrap my head around the writing style. On some level, I was captivated by it from the start, but Valente's writing style is incredibly whimsical and unique and that's the kind of style that just takes a bit to get used to, no matter how much you do or don't like it. After three or four chapters though, I settled in and so enjoyed the turns of phrase and language choice and lyrical whimsy of the story she spun and how she spun it.

We get thrown right into the craziness of this magical world with little-to-no context, which is a bit jarring at first, but as we went along and September learned things about the world from the other characters, it was all presented in such a way that I never questioned any of it and it never felt too slow or info dumpy or anything like that.

All the characters are wonderful and I absolutely adored September as a heroine. The story itself was a fascinating one with so many unique and lovely tidbits threaded in piece by piece. I love how it all developed and wove together as we progressed and those last several chapters definitely grab you.

In essence, this is the kind of book you read when you want to escape the world and just be delighted by imagination and I cannot wait to see where Valente's imagination takes us next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

December 9, 2015 – Shelved
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 28, 2016 – Started Reading
March 28, 2016 –
page 11
4.45% "This is delightful."
April 1, 2016 –
page 78
31.58% ""It's the wonders I'm after, even if I have to bleed for them.""
April 5, 2016 –
page 129
April 5, 2016 –
page 144
58.3% "This is a book you want to savor. The writing is ever so lovely."
April 6, 2016 –