Giulia 's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Okay, I can't do this anymore. DNF at 62%. This is a negative review, so if you liked the book please respect my opinion as I respect yours.

... this book. You see, this is not a situation in which I can say that the book wasn't bad but it just wasn't for me (as it happened with Cruel Beauty, or even with Fangirl). This book is terrible. It's every cliché and stereotype in YA fantasy in one single book.
It was honestly painful for me to even get this far, and I don't want to do this anymore. Every time I thought hey Jun, you know you still have to finish The Iron King, right?, I found myself cringing and then procrastinating so that I somehow couldn't find the time to read it. Because, I'm gonna be really honest with you all, I hated everything about this book. It was so unbearably average, and I kept feeling like I had already read it a thousand times before.

The whole story is based on the weakest of premises. Picture this: you suddenly find out that your little brother has been kidnapped by the fae folk, and in his place there is a monster that looks like him but is actually a vicious Changeling. Said creature has also attacked your mother, who is now in the hospital. Now, you have two options: kill the damn thing, which would cause the fae who have kidnapped your brother to give him back immediately, or go to the extremely dangerous Unseelie court in a long journey in order to retrieve him. I sure as hell know what I would've chosen, but of course the main character, Meghan, thinks it's a great idea to leave a kid in the fae world for weeks and to risk her own life, instead of going for the most logical option. O-kay. And again, of course her friend Puck - who is, mind you, Robin Goodfellow from effin' A Midsummer Night's Dream - doesn't think he should change her mind, or at least kill the Changeling himself and spare them a potentially fatal trip to the Unseelie court. No, he's just like: alright, let's go to the Nevernever then! PLEASE.

Meghan is the biggest idiot you could possibly think of. No, seriously, she's the most insufferable main character I've ever read about. She never has any idea what to do and she prides herself on being "different from other girls", because they're all spoiled rich bitches who spend all day fixing their make up. Riiiiight. My hands are itching from how much I want to slap her.
Not only she's the most typical Mary Sue ever, but she's also - really, I'm sorry, but there's no way to put this nicely - extremely stupid. She doesn't know or understand even the most obvious things about the fae world, keeps putting herself in danger and generally getting her ass kicked, and she's always terrified. She once runs into the woods during the night (yes, the woods of the really dangerous fae world I mentioned before) because she thought she saw her brother there, and almost ends up being eaten alive for the umpteenth time. *sighs heavily*

But don't worry, there's more! Let's talk about the love interests, that don't seem to have any kind of personality of their own. No, wait, let's talk about the love triangle. Or about the insta-love? Yeah, I'll go with the insta-love. Yes, because Meghan meets this guy what, once? twice?, and she is already heads over heels for him. I'm serious.

First time they meet:
Ash, aka the dark brooding prince of the Unseelie court: I want to kill you and your friend.
Meghan: AHHH I'M SO SCARED! You're also really hot. And scary. But mainly hot.
Second time they meet:
Ash: I'm going to kill you. But first, let's dance.
Meghan: Wow!!!! So hot!!! I wonder what it'd be like to kiss him!!!
Third time they meet:
Ash: I'm going to kill you. But first, I want to kill your only friend.
Friend: *tries to kill Ash*
Meghan: No!!! Please, don't kill him!!! He's not as bad as you think he is!!

I WANT TO SCREAM.
The writing is average at best, and the plot basically consists of Meghan doing something stupid, a terrifying creature approaching (which is always described in minute detail. And there were like, a bazillion creatures. I felt like I was reading a fae world bestiary), and then Meghan getting rescued by someone else. Repeat for 100.000 times.
I just want to forget this book even exists, so yes, I'm gonna stop here. What a waste of my time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

December 9, 2015 – Shelved
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 22, 2016 – Started Reading
January 22, 2016 –
6.0% "This is kinda Urban Fantasy Tropes 101, but faeries creep me out, and I like stuff that creeps me out, so... I wanna see where this goes."
January 22, 2016 –
18.0% "Well, let's go to the Unseelie court then. Even though, you know, they could just attack the creepy changeling who has taken the place of Ethan and has knocked Meghan's mother unconscious. Just a thought."
January 23, 2016 –
23.0% "Why the hell didn't Meghan wake up Rob before running off into the forest??? Can someone please get her to stop behaving like an idiot?"
January 23, 2016 –
25.0% "So Puck is being chased by a pack of wolves and Meghan is complaining that he left her alone? HE'S TRYING NOT TO GET EATEN ALIVE YOU STUP- okay, okay. I need to collect myself."
January 25, 2016 –
62.0% "This is getting a little better. Still not great, but kind of enjoyable nonetheless."
January 26, 2016 –
62.0% "I stared at the same page for so long that my Kindle actually went into standby. Why am I still reading this thinggggg"
January 29, 2016 – Shelved as: did-not-finish
January 29, 2016 – Shelved as: i-didnt-like-it
January 29, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 27, 2016 – Shelved as: hated-the-mc

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

message 1: by Anissa (new) - added it

Anissa LOL, I loved your review! Cracked me up so much! Really accurate and agree with most of it! :)

Giulia  Anissa (She Reads Too Much) wrote: "LOL, I loved your review! Cracked me up so much! Really accurate and agree with most of it! :)"

Thanks, Anissa! :) There sure is a problem when my favorite character in a book is A CAT.

message 3: by Anissa (new) - added it

Anissa HAHA omg Grim was my favourite character too!! I think if I read the book again now, I would DNF it too actually xD

Giulia  Anissa (She Reads Too Much) wrote: "HAHA omg Grim was my favourite character too!! I think if I read the book again now, I would DNF it too actually xD"

Yeah, I tried to force myself to go on, but the last time I attempted to read it I ended up staring at the same page for so long that my Kindle went into stand-by. Not exactly a good sign, when you're reading a book. X'D

Katerina Bwahaha I love your review Giulia!!:D

Giulia  Katerina wrote: "Bwahaha I love your review Giulia!!:D"

Thank you! :D

message 7: by Soukaina (new)

Soukaina seriously is it that bad ? but what a review! haha i love it :) :)

Giulia  Soukaina wrote: "seriously is it that bad ? but what a review! haha i love it :) :)"

Sadly, it was, at least for me. Thanks! :)

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne I think I'm ready to take this off my TBR now. I have heard only TERRIBLE things about this book. Your review even states things mildly. I've seen reviews that ripped this book apart! Hahaha. Sorry this one wasn't for you, Jun. But you know what? It happens! Ahaha. On to the next read...
Xoxo

Giulia  Anne (Anneshka) wrote: "I think I'm ready to take this off my TBR now. I have heard only TERRIBLE things about this book. Your review even states things mildly. I've seen reviews that ripped this book apart! Hahaha. Sorry..."

That may be a good idea Anne, I wish I'd been more careful and had read more reviews before diving into this one! x)

message 11: by Nele (new)

Nele Allright, thanks for this review. Now I can remove it from my to-read pile and focus on books I will like :-)

Mizuki You summarized the whole thing nicely~

Giulia  Mizuki wrote: "You summarized the whole thing nicely~"

You weren't a fan either, I take?

Nele wrote: "Allright, thanks for this review. Now I can remove it from my to-read pile and focus on books I will like :-)"

I'm actually kind of glad that I spared some of you guys the pain of going through this thing x)

Mizuki Giulia (Jun) wrote: "You weren't a fan either, I take?"

No, no. I'm dumbfounded to find some people actually believe Meghan is a 'strong character'.

message 15: by P (new) - rated it 2 stars

P Completely understand your feeling. I read this one and I don't want to continue this series too !

Giulia  P.Z. wrote: "Completely understand your feeling. I read this one and I don't want to continue this series too !"

I'll give a second chance to Kagawa some day, but definitely not with this series...

Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) I love your review so much ! Meghan is an insufferable character and the love triangle is so cliché... That book knows no subtlety.
I only rated it 2 stars because I managed to finish the book but it's more of a 1.5, really...

Katerina Kondrenko I liked the first book of this series (though next ones are... worse). But I'm really agree with your points and I LOLed much on dialogue section))

message 19: by Диана (new) - added it

Диана Сапотько This is one of the only books I couldn't finish, I didn't even get halfway through and gave up. Great review! I totally agree.

Giulia  Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) wrote: "I love your review so much ! Meghan is an insufferable character and the love triangle is so cliché... That book knows no subtlety.
I only rated it 2 stars because I managed to finish the book but ..."

Meghan was one of the main reasons I hated this book so much ;_; Gosh. You get points for bravery since you managed to finish it! x)

Giulia  Katerina wrote: "I liked the first book of this series (though next ones are... worse). But I'm really agree with your points and I LOLed much on dialogue section))"

Yeah, I've been told the books get progressively worse... I already didn't want to continue the series, but now it's a definite no from me!!

Giulia  Диана wrote: "This is one of the only books I couldn't finish, I didn't even get halfway through and gave up. Great review! I totally agree."

Thank you, Diana! I know the feeling :/ I'm not even sure why I pushed myself to read more than half of it, since it was so terrible. *shakes head*

message 23: by Cecilia H. (new) - added it

Cecilia H. Awesome review Jun! Amusing as hell! :) I haven't read the book but it sounds awful haha! I'll probably read it anyway since I'm both curious and stupid... x)

Giulia  Cecilia wrote: "Awesome review Jun! Amusing as hell! :) I haven't read the book but it sounds awful haha! I'll probably read it anyway since I'm both curious and stupid... x)"

Thank you, dear! <3 I hope that you at least manage to finish it haha, since that was utterly impossible for me

message 25: by Ohxcharmxdeath (new)

Ohxcharmxdeath Woah!! You just couldn't be more accurate! I ordered the books and waited them with such excitement and I ended up just being disappointed. The main character is like the weakest main character I've ever read about. And it's like the author "tells" what happens rather than "showing"... And the love interest.... DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THIS ONE! It's exhausting reading it! Why dafuq would you fall in love with someone the very first fucking time you see them and keep falling for him and admiring him when on your second meet he clearly wants to FUCKING KILL YOU, WOMAN??? I just..... UGHH I can't!!!

message 26: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura P. AHAHA oddio ottima recensione...sempre spot on! almeno tu hai avuto il coraggio di arrivare al 60%...io ho tipo mollato ai primi capitoli e ho rimosso il libro dal mjo cervello xD.

Beatrice in Bookland io ho commesso l'errore madornale di comprare tutto il cofanetto in cartaceo... quando ci penso vorrei prendermi a schiaffi! Penso che l'unico personaggio che non ho odiato del libro sia il gatto..

Fatima TM I found the book really cliché too. The only thing I liked was the cat and some of the other creatures lol

Books On Replay I couldn't stand this book either. And every time someone mentions wanting to own it or read it, I cringe! It's the the series that taught me not buy whole series before I read the first one. I got rid of it right after I bought it LOL

Giulia  Beatrice wrote: "io ho commesso l'errore madornale di comprare tutto il cofanetto in cartaceo... quando ci penso vorrei prendermi a schiaffi! Penso che l'unico personaggio che non ho odiato del libro sia il gatto.."

Ah, che brutta situazione! ;_; Io ho commesso lo stesso errore una volta in passato, infatti ormai compro solo un libro per volta, per timore che mi succeda di nuovo D:

Laura wrote: "AHAHA oddio ottima recensione...sempre spot on! almeno tu hai avuto il coraggio di arrivare al 60%...io ho tipo mollato ai primi capitoli e ho rimosso il libro dal mjo cervello xD."

Quando ci ripenso, sinceramente non so come ho fatto ad arrivare anche solo fino a quel punto. xD

Giulia  Books On Replay wrote: "I couldn't stand this book either. And every time someone mentions wanting to own it or read it, I cringe! It's the the series that taught me not buy whole series before I read the first one. I got..."

Same here! I immediately deleted it from my Kindle after I decided I wasn't going to keep on reading D:

Veiledhorizon wrote: "I found the book really cliché too. The only thing I liked was the cat and some of the other creatures lol"

Haha, it's kind of hilarious how everyone's fave character in the book was the cat! x)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh Giulia... I think I love you!

description

Seriously, your review is perfect! i couldn't agree with you more, Meghan was one of the worst MC in YA literature, her "I'm not like other girls attitude" was so annoying, and even laughable, because even after all of her complaints about "inflate a boob girl" and how she knew how to defend herself and all, she was completely useless.

I didn't even get why she went to that place, what happened with the changeling and her family? If they got home from the hospital while she was gone, wouldn't that thing end up killing her parents? (sorry, mom and stepdad).
The plot didn't make sense, and the romance was terrible. Amazing review!!!!!

Giulia  Mila wrote: "Oh Giulia... I think I love you!

Aww, Mila! <3 This book was so bad imho ;_; It wasn't just that it was clichéd, because unfortunately that's nothing new, but the plot actually did not make sense! I completely agree with you: not only Meghan embarked on a very dangerous journey herself, but she left her family alone with the changeling that had previously hurt her mother. Like, do you really think that's going to end well? I seriously couldn't understand why they didn't kill the thing immediately.
Thank you! :D

Heather Kay -Slow clap-

Girl, yes. I suffered through the book, and although I respect everyone who loves the book, I scratch my head when they mention Meghan being so strong

One of my favorite parts is when a guy at school called her 'hick girl' and insulted her to her face, yet she still seemed to want to help him study. Lol.

message 35: by LittleRainybunny (new)

LittleRainybunny i am back my mom gave it back to me

message 36: by Logan (new)

Logan Comstock-Dewitt First rule of the unseelie court... DONT GO INTO THE WOODS AT NIGHT IDIOT. I'm dying with laughter right now, great review I loved the instalove portion lol

message 37: by Ana (new)

Ana I unfortunately read this last year since I received it from a friend who knew my fondness for the Midsummer Night's Dream, and I couldn't have summarized it better. You hit every issue I had with this book whilst I was reading it, except perhaps I would add Grimalkin was literally the Cheshire cat with a new name and the Nevernever seemed to me like a really bad meld of the fae realm and wonderland. Was it just me, or was the author really trying to hint that the Nevernever was Lewis Carroll's inspiration when writing about Alice?

Either way, it annoyed me so much I gave pages of The Iron King a new purpose for existence as my literary Christmas ornaments. I think it's better off that way.

message 38: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Mondello OMG I read the blurb for this book and thought 'ye ok it looks pretty kwl I might as well buy the whole series' (it was on sale). I am on page 90 and I cant breathe, that's how much I hate it. I feel kind of guilty saying that but it's just SOOOOOOO bad. Meghan is the most annoying protagonist ever and I feel like she has no back bone. I've wither been laughing at the stupidity of this book or rolling my eyes. It is a complete cliche and very stereotypical and IM ONLY ON PAGE 90. I still have to read the next two books. Hopefully it either gets better. (I pray it gets better because I cant start a series and not finish it, especially if the other books are on my book shelf.)

scarlett I AGREE. I was on about chapter 6 and got bored so I had a look at a few chapters ahead and upon reading the words 'oberon' and 'puck' I literally spat out my drink.

myluckyself Usually I don't like reading reviews on goodreads when I'm only halfway through a book (obviously 'cause spoilers and all that). Caved when I came across the line "her hair was so black it appeared blue in places" - seriously, WTF? And that isn't even the worst of it, so here I am, to find reviews exactly like this one. SO glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Meghan is completely insufferable, atm I'm at six counts of idiocy and I can't take any more D:

message 41: by Shani (new) - added it

Shani I'm up to chapter 7 and I just don't think I can go on. Love your review!

message 42: by mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

mary I agree with you entirely! The concept of having iron fey was intriguing and it seemed as if the author had really thought about the idea of them, but the execution of the plot was so poor I felt like I could have vomited on my shoes at any moment. It was as if she thought all her readers were gonna gasp in surprise and jump in excitement when there were these "plot twists" but I swear while I was reading my face could have turned to stone. Shudder.

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Toloza You just express everything that i think about this book!!

Tonielle Yes to everything you've said. Just like the fae can make you forget them, I felt like I was forgetting the book even as I was reading it.

Nicole Phoebe bless your soul omg someone who finally understands! I hate this series with a burning passion I can't even

message 46: by Senna (new) - added it

Senna Wolff Don't rate books you haven't finished yet. (I DNF'd this too so I get why you hated it but still)