Trudi's Reviews > The Death Cure

The Death Cure by James Dashner

Feb 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: apocalyptic-types, dystopia, series, survive-this, young-adult, 2011, science-fiction, sucky-sequels, the-big-letdown
Read from December 03 to 05, 2011

This final installment of the Maze Runner trilogy is certainly action-packed, but it's sorely lacking in the mystery and emotional intensity of the first two novels. If this trilogy were a movie, The Death Cure would be the crashing, frantic final 20 mins -- all style and adrenaline, but too little real substance to touch the reader in any meaningful way.

I feel let down as well because all the characters who we have come to know and love spend too much time running, fighting, jumping, kicking from one dangerous situation to another, and not enough time thinking, feeling, and interacting. I found the details of WICKED and the Flare to be underwhelming and meh. After such a huge and tantalizing build-up the resolution seemed rushed and deus ex machina.

Two things earned this book two stars:

1) Newt - (view spoiler)

2) Minho! - my little man, I LOVE this guy. Just wish there had been more of him.

While the conclusion underwhelmed, I give the highest possible recommendation to the first two books -- The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials -- they are awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death Cure.

Kristina >The Death Cure would be the crashing, frantic final 20 mins -- all style and adrenaline, but too little real substance to touch the reader in any meaningful way. <
Beautifully stated..that's exactly how I felt!!

Trudi Thanks Kristina! Sad but true :(

Kristina Yes..very sad. I had *just* recommended the books to a friend before I read this one and then I was like "don't bother!" but she already bought the first one. Oh well..the first two are fantastic to read!