J.D.'s Reviews > How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike

How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack by Chuck Sambuchino

it was ok

The idea of this is much funnier than the actual execution of it. While there were a couple of parts that I found mildly amusing, most of it was actually kind of boring to me, which a book like this should never be. That wasn't annoying in and of itself, but what was annoying was the use of @!%%# and the like in place of actual curse words like "fuck" and "shit" (etc.) yet near the end of the book we get a full and uncensored "goddamn". Seriously? That's kind of stupid. As in really stupid.

However, this book still would've gotten three stars from me because it's a unique idea and the pictures are really great (and much more humorous than 97% of the text). The reason it lost an entire star in my rating of it was because of all the damn spelling errors. I always find it amusing to read a poorly edited/proofread book that thanks all of the editors and proofreaders. If you have that many people reading it then I'd think at least ONE of them would've caught the consistent misspelling of "horde" as "hoard". That, puppies and kittens, is INCORRECT in the context it was used. There were a few other spelling errors as well to go along with that hugely glaring one.

On a lighter note, "gnomeowner" is a great made up word.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack.

Started Reading