Pili's Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Read 3 times. Last read March 28, 2018 to April 26, 2018.

5 stars are not enough for this gem of a book. I foresee a massive book hangover, mostly because I've already re-read it, once again via the audiobook, even if I'm also perusing the Kindle edition while the most awesome Steve West utters the magical words that the dreamsmith & word mage that is Laini Taylor. After two re-reads I'm itching for a third one and wishing I could wrap Laini's words around me like a comfy blanket and cocoon myself away from the world and lose myself in the stories of Weep.

I've heard people say that the book dragged or was slow in parts, I don't know if it's because of the kind of reader I am, or because I could listen to Steve West read a grocery list and be enthralled, but it was never the case for me. All the myths and legends and Lazlo's story and his exploits were utterly fascinating, his obsession with Weep becoming mine too! I adored Sarai and her family of scared but powerful children of gods.

I must confessed I was so completely wrapped in Lazlo's story that the firs time to turned to Sarai's part of the story it jarred me a little, because I wanted more Dreamer and more of his adventures and the mysteries that might be revealed, but soon enough I was lost into the pain and small joys and odd life that the children of the gods had carved for themselves, even if it seemed driven on by revenge and pain. It made the story bigger, more relevant and it burrowed itself into my heart even more.

The way the stories merged, with the Dreamer and the Muse of Nightmares meeting in dreams and weaving their own worlds and dreaming about a world were hatred from both sides wouldn't be the main driving feeling of the story was enchanting, heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

By the end of the book there are quite a few unexpected revelations that even then were not completely explained but that challenged both the characters notions and our owns and definitely ends with a cliffhanger, because even if the events are resolved, we're left with much dread and uncertainty and I have no idea where the next book will take us, expect that I fear & expect a lot of heartbreak to come, in many ways and I expect to continue to feel both a lot of empathy and frustration and anger at Minia.

I also adored whatever small winks to the DOSAB trilogy in the shape of myths that were probably history, and they also left me wanting to check with those other characters so much!

Do I recommend this book? With all my heart!! I want to wrap these words around me like a warm blanket, even those who were utterly heartbreaking.
Am I dying to get my hands on the sequel? You betcha!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

Quotes Pili Liked

Laini Taylor
“You’re a storyteller. Dream up something wild and improbable," she pleaded. "Something beautiful and full of monsters."

“Beautiful and full of monsters?"

“All the best stories are.”

Laini Taylor
“Like nightmares, dreams were insidious things, and didn't like being locked away.”

Laini Taylor
“And that's how you go on. You lay laughter over the dark parts. The more dark parts, the more you have to laugh. With defiance, with abandon, with hysteria, any way you can.”

Laini Taylor
“It was impossible, of course. But when did that ever stop any dreamer from dreaming.”

Laini Taylor
“Life won't just happen to you boy, he said. You have to happen to it.”

Laini Taylor
“Sometimes a moment is so remarkable that it carves out a space in time and spins there, while the world rushes on around it. This was one such.”

Laini Taylor
“Weep slept. Dreamers dreamed. A grand moon drifted, and, and the wings of the citadel cut the sky in two: light above, dark below.”

Laini Taylor
“Good people do all the things bad people do, Lazlo. It's just that when they do them, they call it justice.”

Laini Taylor
“Love that sets forth the soul like springtime and ripens it like summer. Love as rarely exists in reality, as if a master alchemist has taken it and distilled out all the impurities, every petty disenchantment, every unworthy thought, into a perfect elixir, sweet and deep and all-consuming.”

Laini Taylor
“shrestha (SHRES·thuh) noun When a dream comes true—but not for the dreamer. Archaic;”

Laini Taylor
“And that’s how you go on. You lay laughter over the dark parts. The more dark parts, the more you have to laugh.”

Laini Taylor
“The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around”

December 8, 2015 – Shelved
December 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 1, 2017 – Started Reading
April 2, 2017 –
25.0% "If I could wrap myself in the words of this book, I would!"
April 3, 2017 –
60.0% "*sigh* The most lovely dream..."
April 3, 2017 –
80.0% "This books brings such important issues to face and for us to ponder..."
April 6, 2017 – Finished Reading