☼♄Jülie 's Reviews > The Butterfly Enigma

The Butterfly Enigma by Lorraine Campbell

20814018

bookshelves: 2015-release, aussie-author, won-from-carpe-librum, won-from-tracey-allen, keepers, top-reads-2016, aww2016-bingo-challenge
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Recommended for: Any

Absolutely perfect, I loved every bit of this book from cover to cover!

What a terrific, evenly paced page turner this is. I had to keep slowing myself just to make it last longer as I just wanted it to go on and on.
From the very beginning I was totally absorbed by this story, everything I love in a book is here! From the gorgeous cover to the charismatic characters, I was captivated.

The story begins with a bit of background into the child Lena, and how she...a Jewish child?...came to be found lost and wandering the streets of wartime Paris after being estranged from her mother. Too young to understand what was going on and too frightened to speak, at all...what will become of her?

Fast forward to the 1960's and Lena is a young woman now, working her way into a respectably good job in the Law Courts of Melbourne (Australia). Her past, though she knows very little of her own heritage, is never far from her mind as her french accent is a constant source of intrigue to the people she meets...often annoyingly so for her.
Lena comes across all sorts of people in her job, rubbing shoulders with high court judges and lawyers, to members of the police force and criminals alike.
Her excellent occupational skills and work ethic combined with her good looks and charming french accent attract a lot of admirers.
However, after losing everything by choosing to walk away from a well to do, though dreadfully failed marriage, Lena is not in a hurry to settle and learns to embrace her newfound independence as she starts to successfully build a life for herself...by herself.
She is finally starting to feel settled and is making new and genuine friendships as she slowly builds a life and history of her own design.

It is during one regular working day in court that Lena hears a voice that makes the hair stand up on the back of her neck and chills her to the bone.
It is not what the voice is saying that has caught her attention, but the sound of that voice, the pitch.
She can't fathom why she has been so affected by this voice and tries hard to recall having ever heard it before, and if so where..or when?
Then the dreams start....

Just when you thought this was already a good story, it now starts to change gears and things get really interesting as Lena starts to dig around in her past and slowly try to piece together the turn of events which caused a little girl to retain a memory of a voice which will come back to haunt her so many years later and so many miles on, into her adulthood.

This book makes every part of itself, every piece of information, important and compelling, so that the reader is held a willing and captive audience throughout.
The author has made sure that the reader is not left guessing, but at the same time is eager for more because it is such a compelling and involved story, told in such a way that it grabs your interest from the outset and doesn't let go.
Even the side stories are relevant and fascinating in their own right and keep you fully engaged.
Despite the sensitive accounts of actual historical events of WW2 Nazi war crimes upon the Jewish people, the book doesn't weigh you down with excessive emotive detail but rather invests you with a desire to learn more.

This is my first book by Lorraine Campbell but it certainly won't be my last, I have already added her other books to my tbr list and highly recommend this book.
This is a keeper!

Many thanks to Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum for my own copy which I won in her blog giveaway.

I gave it a full 5★s and can't wait to read more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly Enigma.

December 8, 2015 – Shelved
December 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-release
December 20, 2015 – Shelved as: aussie-author
December 31, 2015 – Shelved as: won-from-carpe-librum
January 2, 2016 – Started Reading
January 3, 2016 –
page 100
24.15% "Gee I'm enjoying this!! I keep stalling to make it last!"
January 4, 2016 –
page 250
60.39% "I'm inhaling this book, it has a bit of everything going for it."
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: won-from-tracey-allen
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: keepers
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: top-reads-2016
January 6, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 22, 2016 – Shelved as: aww2016-bingo-challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

☼♄Jülie  Check out the preview tab for a sample.

☼♄Jülie  Carol - Reading Writing and Riesling wrote: "It was good wasn't it?"

Excellent Carol :)

message 4: by Phrynne (last edited Jan 06, 2016 09:16PM) (new)

Phrynne Sounds good and I have marked it TBR. But I have to disagree about the cover.

message 5: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne That's the one I tried to win! That's a big call for first week of the year favourite. Love it!

☼♄Jülie  Phrynne wrote: "Sounds good and I have marked it TBR. But I have to disagree about the cover."

Oh great Phrynne! Well at least the cover is relevant to the story which is always worth an extra star imo :)

message 7: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Jan 06, 2016 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♄Jülie  Suzanne wrote: "That's the one I tried to win! That's a big call for first week of the year favourite. Love it!"

Yeah lets hope it is a promise of things to come :)
...sorry you missed out Suz...but so glad I won it! :D

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Phrynne wrote: "Sounds good and I have marked it TBR. But I have to disagree about the cover."

Thank you!

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Great review Jools:) Still thinking;)

message 10: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Great review Jools and sounds like a great read to start the year.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wow!

message 12: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 Great review, will have to look out for it

message 13: by Ace (new) - added it

Ace Great to hear about great books like this Julie, I have added.

☼♄Jülie  Thanks all... I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

message 15: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Just stumbled across this review now and I’m so happy this was a five star read for you. Great review!

☼♄Jülie  Tracey Allen wrote: "Just stumbled across this review now and I’m so happy this was a five star read for you. Great review!"

Thanks Tracey and yes, this book remains an all time favorite for me :))

☼♄Jülie  I wish more people would give this a go, it is perfect for aussie author challenges ;)