Linda's Reviews > Browsings: A Year of Reading, Collecting and Living with Books

Browsings by Michael Dirda

3209397

I loved this book. I read it at lunch, and at first I just read it as fast as I could because I enjoyed the author's voice so much. But then I realized that once I finished it, I wouldn't get to have these great "conversations" about books and reading with Mr. Dirda, so I slowed way down and only read one or two at a sitting. My favorite entry is "Thrift Stories" in which the author talks about buying several elegant shirts that could have been worn by Jay Gatsby. I laughed out loud at some of the entries, and learned about many writers I've never read before. I also learned about some pretty great small bookstores I've never visited but plan to visit now. I especially enjoyed Mr. Dirda's advice at the end: "Keep trying books outside of your comfort zone. At least from time to time. True readers boldly go where they haven't before." And so for me it's on to science fiction (Alfred Bester) and some classics I just happen to have on my shelves at home(Master and Margarita by Bulgakov and A Fan's Notes by Exley).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Browsings.

Started Reading