Denisa C's Reviews > The Midnight Star

9199857
Oct 25, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: owned-books

I had a hell of a ride. I've finished this on the 20th, but I was pissed at the time on this book. Thinking about it I am still a little pissed. It is like I've missed something. Please people, tell me what I've missed. I really want to know some other opinions.
I loved the first two books. I loved Adelina's story, the dark side of everything. I loved loved the ending to the second book, but this one, kinda let me down. This will probably be full of spoiler tags, I am so sorry.
First of all I liked most of the characters for like 50% of the novel. I liked Adelina, but I felt like her character didn't fully complete his arc. She was so dark in book two and I didn't feel that in book three. And in my opinion, this happen with the rest of the characters. It feels like the last half of the book for me came out of nowhere. The thing is if there would have been more focus on their Gods in previous books, I would have understand why and how this turns out to be. But, if I have not forgotten everything, there were not that many things focusing on their Gods, other than maybe some quotes before the chapters. I don't know, it feels like it wasn't fully explained. And yes, what most people have said seems true, the book seems shorter that what it could have been. And coming back to their characters, with some spoilers: (view spoiler) It seems as if as dark as the second one was, this is much much lighter.
The plot is interesting at first, but then turns into some quest and I was not that big of a fan. I was fully expecting them to fight this off. To do everything in their power to conquer everything.(view spoiler)
There are characters that don't do anything to or for me, like: Violetta - I never understood her character fully, I don't know if she realises but she's no better than her sister, Adelina. (view spoiler) Rafaelle - I never knew were he standed. He was interesting in book one and maybe in book two, but here I didn't care. (view spoiler) Maeve was such an intersting addition in book two, here she lacked ambition, I would say.
The thing is that I like the first half, literally 50% of the book, but then I just don't know what happen. I love the writing style and I would have given it 5 stars for the ending. (view spoiler)
So you take away two stars for the middle section and remain with three. I will give this a reread once I buy a boxset of some sort, with all the books having the same fucking height. Maybe I did miss something or maybe I didn't. Nonetheless this is an intersting trilogy, if you like anti-heroes or villains's perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Star.

December 8, 2015 – Shelved
December 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2016 – Started Reading
October 18, 2016 –
51.0% "Apparently everybody is fucked up. \n"
October 20, 2016 –
100.0% "I am still thinking about this. And honestly, right now, I don't know how to write a review without spoilers everywhere. It is not my favourite out of the three. <spoiler>But that ending, like the final page. And the title and that ending. That I would give 5 stars.</spoiler>"
October 20, 2016 –
100.0% "I am still thinking about this. And honestly, right now, I don't know how to write a review without spoilers everywhere. It is not my favourite out of the three.\n\n"
October 20, 2016 – Finished Reading