Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Magic Stars

Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews

It’s not Christmas just yet, I know, but doesn’t it feel like it every time Ilona and Gordon publish something new? Yes, yes it does. Magic Stars came somewhat unexpectedly, having been kept secret until about a month ago, and the second we learned the protagonist, we were collectively consumed by an overwhelming feeling of pure joy. After all, Derek Gaunt deserves no less, and neither does our Julie.

Finally, we get a glimpse of Boy Wonder from up close. We’ve been waiting a long time for it, and it’s easy to understand why. Derek’s head is a dark place and his voice must have been very difficult to achieve. Even now, we only get 3rd person narrative, albeit a very insightful, intimate one. Looking back on his life and how he came to be a member of the Pack, it’s a wonder than he stayed not only relatively sane, but loyal and kind-hearted above all.

Magic Stars is relatively short, but it packs a strong punch. What starts as a vicious murder and a hunt for revenge ends up being a much more dangerous plot against Atlanta. Derek and Julie are the only ones standing between the city and total destruction and as usual, they do so fiercely and with heaps of sarcastic remarks.

Aside from being filled with action, Magic Stars brings new on the romance front, just a tiny hint of something I’ve been hoping for for a very long time. With these two, a mere hint is enough, a subtle promise of more to follow somewhere down the line. I’m sure it won’t be simple or easy, but that’s half the fun. Whichever way the tide turns, Ilona and Gordon will make it endlessly entertaining.

There are just two words one can say after a novella like Magic Stars. You all know them, you all say them often enough. MORE, PLEASE.

A copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher for review purposes. No considerations, monetary or otherwise, have influenced the opinions expressed in this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Stars.

December 7, 2015 – Started Reading
December 7, 2015 – Shelved
December 7, 2015 –
1.0% "Yaaaay! I am ridiculously excited."
December 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Claudia Great review. I already have it on my kindle .... :)