Jessica's Reviews > The Neighbour

The Neighbour by Julie Proudfoot

U 50x66

This precisely written thriller about the minutiae of ordinary people’s thoughts, actions and reactions after a mix up, an accident which may or may not have been one. The reader will never sneer at a health and safety manual again; a dull suburban setting familiar from any half affluent society is corroded and exposed after a series of careless and then over-careful events. It’s a book about control – about men and women attempting to control one another, about the vulnerability of children and animals, about how major trauma can make even the most twisted logic seem a rational guide to living and even the most repellent characters strangely sympathetic if only for the length of a fleeting phrase.
Like some other reviewers, after the lull of the first few paragraphs, the initial shock of the accident was too much for me for a while, and I needed a strong stomach to read on, the forceful pull of the plot not always able to overcome my need to turn away... Not wanting nightmares later on, I kept a safe distance from the text, ready to avert my horrified gaze from my Kindle as I barely skimmed the surface (an ironic image given that so much of the novel takes place in, around or under water). For that reason I can’t go back and comment on stylistic features, quote particular passages or single out specific incidents – I rushed gratefully on to the end and am left with a jumble of distorted events: the main character’s exact calibration of how long and what form a particular death might take; dialogue between people who cannot communicate; adjunct characters moving about helplessly as events unfurl and a mind unravels; thought processes made crazy through cyclical tragedy.
But I do know that what I have just read is brilliantly written, psychologically precise and a nail biting read that will not quickly be forgotten. Just make sure you have a comforting shoulder to reassure you as you go and that if you can’t quite cope with all that is thrown at you, well, you will not be alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neighbour.

Started Reading