Tarra's Reviews > Black Swan Rising

Black Swan Rising by Lee  Carroll

Feb 05, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-urban-fantasy, vampire, fae, finished-2011
Read from February 08 to 10, 2011

Interesting and vivid world. Vampires, gnomes, mythical monsters, and Shakespearean Fairies come to life and live and work among us. I like how the authors incorporated art, literature, and myth into creating this fantasy setting, the descriptions of NYC were so rich in detail, but sometimes I felt it got a little too bogged down with specifics.

I liked the main character, Garet. The story is told from her point of view as she struggles to find her place between good and evil. I felt she accepted things a little too easily. I also felt that she never propelled the action, merely reacted to whatever was thrown her way. Her fairy guides were interesting characters but never really taught Garet anything. It seemed so glossed over, suddenly there was a cool new power she learned without really trying. Seemed a bit too tidy.

The romantic love interest was Will Hughes. Now I'm a sucker for any hot, brooding vampire, but he was kinda whiney. But still hot. Will was barely fleshed out as a character. Garet was his damsel in distress. I did like the hints at reincarnation and Will's history with Garet's ancestors. I wish those aspects were explored more. Their relationship happened a bit too quickly. I wish I could have savored it a bit more.

In all, I really enjoyed this novel. There were a lot of characters and a lot of exposition and building up the world and scene. Definitely seems like the first book in a series (so much back story), but this series (if it becomes one) has the potential for greatness. This book left it wide open for future stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Swan Rising.

02/09/2011
30.0% "Really engaging. A slow build up but a lot of suspense. I love the delicate way things are unfolding."
02/09/2011
52.0% "So glad I didn't read many reviews. Little surprises around every corner."
02/10/2011
84.0% "Well I saw that coming!"
02/10/2011
87.0% "Garet calls for help from Will. Again. She's more about reacting to situations than furthering the action."
show 1 hidden update…

Tarra Saw this in a bookstore this weekend and used my handy goodreads barcode scanner to save the title. Found it was a free kindle lender. Now I've got the book and am starting it next, considering the loan is only good for two weeks. I hope it's good!