Cecilia's Reviews > The Confessions of Catherine de Medici

Feb 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: green-covers, red-covers
Read in January, 2010

The Confessions Of Catherine De Medici did not "wow" me as much as The Last Queen. I am not entirely sure why. C.W. Gortner unfolds Catherine's story with the same finesse as Juana La Loca. However, I just was not as impressed with Catherine - it may be a mixture of not connecting with Catherine as much as Juana; the fact that there were a lot of names thrown about (and sometimes duplicate names); and a lot of political ups-and-downs every other page or so. The latter is probably the majority of my discontent - Catherine lived in a very complicated political world that never seemed to let her relax and enjoy herself. Not that Juana didn't have a complex life, but I did not feel as overwhelmed in details and people then.

As far as historical fiction goes, I will still keep my eyes peeled for C.W. Gortner and his scintillating interpretations of famous queens with unflattering reputations. I absolutely love his writing style - the descriptions and personal thoughts continue to be the highlight of his novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Catherine de Medici.