Emer 's Reviews > Us

Us by David Nicholls

did not like it
bookshelves: light-fiction, 1star, read2019, reviewed, adult-fiction, the-hype-lies

This was a well written book with reference to the quality of the prose, its poignancy, its deconstruction of a marriage... So I can well understand how it was long listed for the Booker Prize back in whatever year that was... but my god did I hate this book. I hated it. It felt like some sort of slow torture... which admittedly might have been David Nicholls' aim because it is about the minutiae of the ugliness of family life... but I still hated it. It felt painfully repetitive to me. I mean how many times did we have to be told how artistic Connie was and how very much not Douglas was. I couldn't take it. Not until more than half way did the book pick up any sort of forward-moving pace. And usually I am all for messy characters who do things that make them less than likeable... but wow if I had my choice I would pack Douglas, Connie and Albie off to some remote desert island so they could no longer frustrate the rest of the planet. Thank god they were fictional.

So I guess two stars would be fair because of the quality of the book and its authenticity........ but I hated it. And I mean HATED it and this is my personal little ranting space so one star it is... Oops Sorry David Nicholls. I still adore 'One Day'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.

December 5, 2015 – Shelved
April 24, 2019 – Started Reading
April 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Konnie (new) - added it

Konnie Yes, even though One Day is one of my all time faves, the synopsis of this book put me off so I'm glad to see that it was probably right for me to stay away from this book with your rating.

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Emer, I wasn’t crazy about One Day and that’s why I skipped this one. So glad I, but sorry it didn’t work for you.

Emer Konnie wrote: "Yes, even though One Day is one of my all time faves, the synopsis of this book put me off so I'm glad to see that it was probably right for me to stay away from this book with your rating."

I don't think you would enjoy this either Konnie so yup, that seems to have been a very wise move on your part

Emer Angela M wrote: "Emer, I wasn’t crazy about One Day and that’s why I skipped this one. So glad I, but sorry it didn’t work for you."

Thanks Angela. This is very unlike One Day so you never know, maybe this style of novel would be more to your taste? If anything it is rather refreshing that Nicholls was able to write something so different to One Day