Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > The Taste of a Man

The Taste of a Man by Slavenka Drakulić

Slavenka Drakulić wastes no time writing novels that are widely acceptable. If you ever come across one of her books, make sure you are ready to embrace the unexpected. Her stories are powerful descriptions of the most basic human nature: love, fear, survival and life.

Unlike so many of her other novels, this one is not based on a true story (and for that we are grateful). Instead it is based on deepest parts of our nature, hidden for millennia under strongly ingrained morals of our civilization. It’s like a game of Have you ever we all played as children:
- Have you ever taken something that doesn’t (and can never) belong to you?
- Have you ever loved someone so much that you would rather take their life than let them live without you?
- Have you ever abandoned sanity because of love?
- Have you ever felt that we are confined by the rules of our civilization that tell us how to live, breathe and love?

This is NOT trivial literature. If you do not have an open mind, please choose another book. If you do not have the patience for the subtlety of human communication and relationships, you won’t appreciate this book. But if you are able to open your mind AND your heart to these powerful sentences, they might just change your life. They will most certainly change the way you think about love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taste of a Man.

Quotes Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Liked

Slavenka Drakulić
“What do people think of when they talk about their lives? Do they really see them as an integral whole, as a chronological sequence of events; as something logical, purposeful, completed? What moments do they remember, and how do they remember them? As words? As a series of images and sounds? My life crumbles into a series of pictures, unconnected scenes which comes to mind only occassionally and at random. But there are key events, the acts of chance or fate, which later enable me to construct a logical whole of my life. One such moment was meeting Jose. The other was my decision to see our love through to the very end.”
Slavenka Drakulić, The Taste of a Man

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. I've never read a book by this author. Sounds intriguing.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) She's #1 contemporary Croatian author. She lives in Sweden, though. The novel is amazing, but very, very disturbing. I don't think you'd be able to find it that easily.

message 3: by Carolina (new) - added it

Carolina Your review sold it for me. Going to my TBR list!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm so glad! I hope you'll be able to find it! :)

message 5: by Carolina (new) - added it

Carolina Well, I see some sellers have it on Amazon. So, I'll check some reviews and take my pick =)

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus The Taste of a Man is one such story. It’s a story about the impossibility of love and the denial of loss, about the boundaries of sanity and about the things we are ready to do for the person we consider our own. It’s a story about the Divine Hunger.

SOLD! *looks for the Kindle version*

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm glad! I'm not sure there IS a Kindle version, however, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus There is no Kindle version, but with Amazon's one-click and prime loveliness, I should see one on my doorstep by Friday.

But I want it ***now***!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, the pressure. I really hope you'll like it.