Melanie's Reviews > Vicious

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

liked it
bookshelves: adult, buddy-reads, read-in-2018, fantasy

“Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.”

Friends, this is my fifth book by VE Schwab, and I’ve three starred every single one of them. At this point, it is glaringly obvious that you should take my review(s) of her work with a grain of salt, because it is obviously a “me” thing. I will say that I adore the author, and I want so desperately to fall in love with a book of hers. And even though I thought Vicious would be the one, it sadly wasn’t.

But this is a book about two college roommates who are literally experimenting with life and death and that tiny, minuscule, grey area in-between. Ten years later, a story of revenge, heartbreak, and anger is born. Yet, we still get glimpses into what happened at college ten years ago to bring these current ramifications into fruition.

This book does raise the fascinating question, both in literature and in real life: what makes a hero and what makes a villain? Is it just the light the story is told in? Is the difference that monumental? Is it only a matter of perspective? Victor and Eli really challenge this question, and I adored it.

Victor - Fresh out of jail and will stop at nothing to exact his revenge; the slower the better.

Sydney - My favorite character, who needs to be protected at all costs, and is just trying to find her place in a world that has constantly made her feel like she doesn’t belong.

Mitch - I highkey loved this hacker and Victor’s soft friend.

Eli - I actually hated Eli, and I think that’s the point of this book, truly, but his crisis of faith was just too much for me.

Serena - To me, Serena and Sydney were truly the bright, shining stars of this story. And Serena has the coolest power of all the EOs, in my opinion.

And these five people’s paths all cross; some because of tangled pasts, but some because of brand new beginnings. And these characters quickly prove that developing superpowers could be pretty damn frightening. Especially when the powers you develop are rooted in who you are and what you need.

One thing I do want to briefly mention that I adored was Victor’s love for blackout poetry. I’ve actually never seen a book character have a passion for it, and it really warmed my heart. Every time he would create something, it really would take my breath away. It was such a bright light in the story for me.

I read this with a few friends, and the reading was broken down over the course of five days. Day one and day five were both, easily, five star reading days. I loved the start and end of this book more than words. Again, Victoria Schwab is so intelligent, and her ideas are truly a tier above the rest. Sadly, the middle three days I just felt a bit bored, and it only got worse by day four. But the ending? God, I know I shouldn’t, but I desperately want to read Vengeful now.

I also really truly loved how the first and last chapter began. I’m always a sucker when authors mirror events and phrases throughout their book(s) and I feel like VE Schwab always successfully does this. And I get goosebumps each and every time.

Overall, I get that there is some kind of disconnect between me and this author’s books. And nothing is changing that because, believe me, I truly want to love her work so badly. Like I said above, take this review with a grain of salt because so many of my friends adore this book, and I really implore you to check out some of their amazing reviews: Em, Adriana, CW, Hari, & Mari!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and trigger warnings for talk of suicide, attempted suicide, overdosing, self-harm, drug use, murder, animal death, abandonment, and depiction of panic attacks.

Buddy read with Mo, Paloma, Julie, & Amber! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious.

December 3, 2015 – Shelved
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 2, 2018 –
page 144
39.13% "“I want to believe that there's more. That we could be more. Hell, we could be heroes.”

"
October 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) have you... not read this

Melanie Elise wrote: "have you... not read this"

Holy shit, I'm writing to you a year later.... but no. 🙈💕xx

Elise (TheBookishActress) Melanie wrote: "Elise wrote: "have you... not read this"

Holy shit, I'm writing to you a year later.... but no. 🙈💕xx"

oh my god a true friendship moment

Elise (TheBookishActress) but also how the fuck. i will fight you

Melanie Elise wrote: "but also how the fuck. i will fight you"

Lmaoooooo! I love you so much! I really am going to try to squeeze it in before book two's release! 💕xx

message 6: by pupita (new)

pupita is so funy wen you start reading that book you cant stop to reading it

message 7: by pupita (new)

pupita but also fuck

Melanie (TBR and Beyond) You kill me with your Schwab ratings but I still love you LOL

Julie Zantopoulos But but but you were loving it. Ohhh man. That’s okay, though! Love you.

Sahitya Now I really wanna know what you think of this because I’m at 3.5 too...

Robin Oh my god I'm not the only one! I wish I loved her books as much as everyone else

message 12: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Hi! My name is also Melanie and I seem to five star everything by Victoria Schwab xDDD How different we are.

✩ Ashley ✩ I’ve been working at finishing this for 21 days... “working” being the operative word there 😂

Lea (drumsofautumn) I’m not surprised 💁🏼‍♀️

arjounica rehina that is what i want to read

arjounica rehina really good In hindi we said this"gjab"

Elise (TheBookishActress) .................................................it's fine

message 18: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Gillespie I haven’t had the best luck wit her book either. I’d like to know your thoughts in this book 😊

message 19: by Lau (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lau I’m so sorry you couldn’t enjoy this one too ç.ç. Don’t give up yet, maybe you’ll find a Schwab book you like in the future ^^’

message 20: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Idk if we can be friends anymore.... 😝😝

Melanie Melanie (TBR and Beyond) wrote: "You kill me with your Schwab ratings but I still love you LOL"

I love you! 💕xx

Melanie Julie wrote: "But but but you were loving it. Ohhh man. That’s okay, though! Love you."

I love you! 💕xx

Melanie Sahitya wrote: "Now I really wanna know what you think of this because I’m at 3.5 too..."

I officially love you, Sahitya! 💕xx

Melanie Robin wrote: "Oh my god I'm not the only one! I wish I loved her books as much as everyone else"

I love you, Robin! Haha! 💕xx

Melanie Melanie wrote: "Hi! My name is also Melanie and I seem to five star everything by Victoria Schwab xDDD How different we are."

MELANIE! Lmaooo! I love you, so much! We always have our Shadowhunters love and rages, babe! 💕xx

Melanie ✩ Ashley ✩ wrote: "I’ve been working at finishing this for 21 days... “working” being the operative word there 😂"

Oh my gosh, see, this is why i love you, Ashley! 💕xx

Melanie Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "I’m not surprised 💁🏼‍♀️"

Hey, I love you. A lot. 💕xx

Melanie arjounica rehina wrote: "really good In hindi we said this"gjab""

I hope you love it, sweetheart! 💕xx

Melanie Elise wrote: ".................................................it's fine"

Hey, I love you more than words. 💕xx

Melanie Stephanie wrote: "I haven’t had the best luck wit her book either. I’d like to know your thoughts in this book 😊"

*dodges tomatoes* I posted it! Hehe! I love you! 💕xx

Melanie Lau wrote: "I’m so sorry you couldn’t enjoy this one too ç.ç. Don’t give up yet, maybe you’ll find a Schwab book you like in the future ^^’"

Awh, thank you so much, Lau! You are so sweet! 💕xx

Melanie Megan wrote: "Idk if we can be friends anymore.... 😝😝"

Megan.... I love youuuuuuu! 💕xx

message 33: by Cláudia (new) - added it

Cláudia Oh, dang. I've been really excited to read this one!

Andrea I am in the exact same boat with VE Schwab - she's so cool and her stories are really original and different, but it's like we have no 'book chemistry'. I desperately want to love all her work but end up feeling so lukewarm about everything :( so you're not alone!

katrina I find Schwab frustrating tbh. All her books have such great ideas but I always find them a little underdeveloped. I think I’m just going to have to lump her in with Neil Gaiman as authors whose books I feel like I should like more than I actually do.

Melanie Cláudia wrote: "Oh, dang. I've been really excited to read this one!"

I bet you will still enjoy it, Cláudia! And happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Andrea wrote: "I am in the exact same boat with VE Schwab - she's so cool and her stories are really original and different, but it's like we have no 'book chemistry'. I desperately want to love all her work but ..."

Awh, thank you for making me feel a bit better, love! I hope you're currently reading something five star worthy! 💖xx

Awh, thank you for making me feel so not alone, hehe! But I hope you're having the happiest of reading currently, love! 💖xx

Read Between The Vines I’m the same, I REALLY want to love her work, but there’s no chemistry for me either and everything so far is too predictable to be more than a 3*

Melanie Read Between The Vines wrote: "I’m the same, I REALLY want to love her work, but there’s no chemistry for me either and everything so far is too predictable to be more than a 3*"

Awh, this is the validation I needed today. Hehe! I hope you're having the happiest of reading currently, love! 💛xx

Ashley I liked this one, but Vengeful has been my fav of all her books & has one of the best villains of all time imo!