Lucas's Reviews > Glasshouse

Glasshouse by Charles Stross

Feb 04, 2008

Read in May, 2008 — I own a copy

This book starts out weak, it seems to be the most pulpy and disposable of any of Stross's books so far, but then the plot starts to kick in about a third of the way through and it improves greatly.

I thought SF authors would try to avoid it by now, but in that first third there is a constant stream of annoying comparisons of far future life to the 20th century. The story has a good reason for this, but it is still very clunky when the viewpoint characters constantly observe how primitive or arbitrary 20th century clothing styles or kitchen utensils are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glasshouse.

08/19/2015 marked as: currently-reading
08/25/2015 marked as: read

Lucas I went to a meetup the author had a few weeks ago when he came through Seattle on a book tour, this book came up several times in conversations with the other attendees so I reread it.

I still agree with my impressions from the first read.

(Mild spoilers ahead)
Two things seemed odd: why was cutting off the starship t-gate a good plan, aren't there bad guys on the other side of it that need to be brought to justice? Also, that wasn't the only t-gate, what about the one connecting the drive to the photosphere of a star?