Tamy Burnett's Reviews > The Alchemists' Council

The Alchemists' Council by Cynthea Masson

U 50x66

I had the opportunity to read an ARC of this book—and am I glad I did! This is a captivating story where questions of free will and destiny play out against the backdrop of a fully-imagined, lyrically-described fantasy world. We follow Jaden, new initiate to the Alchemists’ Council, as she learns about political intrigue and contemplates rebellion against the ostensibly good works of the established order.

This is far more than the age-old tale of rebellion versus status quo, though. Legends of alchemy focus on the idea of turning lead into gold, of turning something common and relatively worthless into something rare and valuable. Masson’s alchemists, however, seek a higher goal, a form of spiritual enlightenment driven by a calling to protect a complex metaphysical ecosystem across three dimensions. The tale cleverly forces readers to question whether that which these alchemists value is really worth striving for. This is a story that compellingly explores opposing ideologies and hints that it is only through balancing these competing interests—rather than privileging one over another—that true harmony is achieved. To be fair, though, we’ll have to see where Books 2 and 3 of the Alchemists’ Council land on the subject!

Cynthea Masson has performed her own alchemy here, turning mere words into a nuanced, complex exploration of identity and philosophy, wrapped in an enthralling tale of adventure and intrigue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemists' Council.

December 3, 2015 – Shelved