Abby's Reviews > Atrophy

Atrophy by Jess Anastasi

bookshelves: reviews, 2015

Oh. My. Heck. This was a fantastic read! Having read the description before I started reading, I was wondering how Tannin could have endeared himself to Zahli enough so that she was willing to try to hide him on her brother's spaceship so that he could flee the prison planet Erebus. I knew there was a romance component so I wondered if it would be one of those 'I was drawn to him as soon as I saw him and although there is no logic behind my decision I will put everyone at risk to help this stranger' type things. Honestly- I loved the way this part was written. Not only did it flow very well (just like the rest of the book), but it also made so much sense while establishing character traits for both Zahli and Tannin. Nothing felt forced- the progression of the book felt natural, but not predictable. There were definitely some surprises in Atrophy, especially nearer the end. And as much as I love Tannin and Zahli- I was grateful for the depth of other characters, most notably Rian- Zahli's brother. I wish there was another book that went into more detail about his history with Reidar and how it factors into their plot (don't want to give spoilers, so I won't say anything more specific). I feel like there were lots of elements in this book, and they were handled well. It wasn't overwhelming or confusing. It made the plot whole and vibrant while opening up possibilities for further exploration in (hopefully to exist) further books.
I was hugely satisfied with this book. I loved the characters, the ship they travel on (it definitely reminded me of Serenity and made me feel at home), and this new universe that is waiting to be further explored. I hope, nay, I demand that there be a sequel so that I can find out more about this universe, how far along the Reidar are in carrying out their plot, and to see the characters who I have come to know be able to finish taking care of business. Don't get me wrong- I was not dissatisfied with the ending of the book- I just want more. And I could see this book becoming a trilogy at the very least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atrophy.

December 3, 2015 – Started Reading