Riku Sayuj's Reviews > The Discovery of India

The Discovery of India by Jawaharlal Nehru

1651956
Feb 04, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, india, r-r-rs, india-history
Read 3 times. Last read November 18, 2006 to December 18, 2006.

Still the best history book I have read in my life. Ah, the wonders we lose when geniuses go into politics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Discovery of India.

Finished Reading
November 18, 2006 – Started Reading
December 18, 2006 – Finished Reading
February 4, 2011 – Shelved
November 22, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
April 20, 2013 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
April 20, 2013 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
page 20
3.05% "Aurobindo Ghose writes somewhere of the present as 'the pure and virgin moment, 'that razor's edge of time and existence which divides the past from the future, and is, and yet, instantaneously is not. The phrase is attractive and yet what does it mean? The virgin moment emerging from the veil of the future in all its naked purity, coming into contact with us, and immediately becoming the soiled and stale past. I" (Other Paperback Edition)
page 37
5.64% "I remember the words that Gandhiji said on that fateful evening of August 8th, 1942: 'We must look the world in the face with calm and clear eyes even though the eyes of the world are blood-shot to-day.'" (Other Paperback Edition)
page 95
14.48% "Aurobindo Ghose has written: 'If an ancient Indian of the time of the Upanishad, of the Buddha, or the later classical age were to be set down in modern India... he would see his race clinging to forms and shells and rags of the past and missing nine-tenths of its nobler meaning... he would be amazed by the extent of the mental poverty, the immobility, the static repetition, the cessation of science, the long..." (Other Paperback Edition)
April 21, 2013 –
page 141
21.49% "The East bowed low before the blast\n In patient, deep disdain;\n She let the legions thunder past,\n And plunged in thought again.\n \n ~ Matthew Arnold, The Pagan World" (Other Paperback Edition)
April 22, 2013 –
page 182
27.74% "The very name of the province of Bihar today is derived from \n Vihara, monastery, which indicates how full that huge area must have been of monasteries." (Other Paperback Edition)
April 23, 2013 –
page 262
39.94% "Is it true that those whom we have injured, we dislike and hate?" (Other Paperback Edition)
April 23, 2013 –
page 266
40.55% "In Kashmir a long-continued process of conversion to Islam had resulted in 95 per cent of the population becoming Moslems, though they retained many of their old Hindu customs. In the middle nineteenth century the Hindu ruler of the state found that very large numbers of these people were anxious or willing to return en bloc to Hinduism. He sent a deputation to the pundits of Benares inquiring if this could..." (Other Paperback Edition)
April 24, 2013 –
page 304
46.34% "Thus India had to bear the cost of her own conquest, and then of her transfer (or sale) from the East India Company to the British Crown, for the extension of the British Empire to Burma and elsewhere, for expeditions to Africa, Persia, etc., and for her defence against Indians themselves. She was not only used as a base for imperial purposes, without any reimbursement for this, but she had...[contd in comments]" (Other Paperback Edition)
April 28, 2013 –
page 365
55.64% "Thus in 1920 the National Congress, and to a large extent the country, took to this new and unexplored path and came into conflict repeatedly with the British power. The conflict was inherent both in these methods and in the new situation that had arisen, yet back of all this was not political tactics and maneuvering but the desire to strengthen the Indian people, for by that strength alone could they ... [contd]" (Other Paperback Edition)
April 28, 2013 –
page 378
57.62% "But whatever our failings might be, it seemed obvious to us that the permanent services here were totally incapable of leading India in any progressive direction. The very qualities they possessed made them unhelpful, for the qualities necessary in a police state are utterly different from those required in a progressive democratic community. Before they could presume to train others, it would be necessary...[contd]" (Other Paperback Edition)
April 30, 2013 –
page 424
64.63% "Repeatedly we pointed out the inconsistency of condemning fascism and nazism and maintaining imperialist domination. It was true that the former were indulging in horrid crimes whilst imperialism in India and elsewhere had stabilized itself. The difference was one of degree and of time, not of kind." (Other Paperback Edition)
May 1, 2013 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: reference (Other Paperback Edition)
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: india (Other Paperback Edition)
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: history-imperial (Other Paperback Edition)
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: r-r-rs (Other Paperback Edition)
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: india
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: r-r-rs
November 12, 2014 – Shelved as: india-history

Riku Sayuj third re-read...

message 2: by Sarthak (new)

Sarthak Sarthi I concur how astute author,he would have mad had it not been for politics.

message 3: by Sarthak (new)

Sarthak Sarthi *made

message 4: by Aishwarya (new)

Aishwarya lose*

Riku Sayuj Aishwarya wrote: "lose*"

thanks :)