Mick Kelly's Reviews > The Epigenetics Revolution

The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey

A good and important book. Although it is slightly too old to include the latest on gene editing and gene drive, this is a great book for getting the background on epigenetics.

I'm constantly amazed with science - not so much as to what it achieves but for the questions it asks - I always wonder why I don't ask these questions. In this case, the important question is - 'If all cells carry the same DNA - how come a liver cell is different from a skin cell or a bone cell or....'

Once you ask that, it is obvious that there must be a control mechanism - and that control mechanism is epigenetics. Evolution being what it is, it doesn't stop there - and puts these mechanisms to use in a variety of other ways - like suppressing some X-linked chromosomes, battling in the wars of the sexes, implementing a limited kind of Lamarkian evolution etc.

Fascinating - and bound to be an important topic for the future. Read about it now!

I hope Nessa Carey brings out a revised edition pronto - to take in the latest advances.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Epigenetics Revolution.

Started Reading