Sharon's Reviews > A Study in Charlotte

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

liked it
bookshelves: 2-and-a-half-stars, mystery, ya

A girl who is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes, I mean, how can I resist??

Hhmm… We have a Holmes who is a very flawed human being.

Not to say that Sherlock Holmes was perfect. He wasn’t. But he felt pretty damn invincible to me most of the times.

Charlotte Holmes is more “human.” I don’t think that’s a bad thing. In fact, I like that we are exploring her flaws and her vulnerable side. Especially since she is only a teenager, so it makes sense to see her struggle and mature. Still, I can’t help but feel disappointed overall because her character feels just a bit too sappy for my taste. Don’t get me wrong. She doesn’t need to be invincible, but I want her to feel more suave and competent. I was expecting a cool, collected badass female detective. And if she has a vulnerable side on that of that, all the more better for depth in her character. Like what I said, I don’t mind her having a vulnerable side and flaws, but I wanted to feel enchanted and mesmerized by her character even with all of that. She can cry, she can be vulnerable, she can blush, she can be imperfect, as we saw in this book, which I’m OK with, but it accumulated into too much sappiness that overpowers the charm and power aspect. She just doesn’t quite have the spark that I usually would feel for Sherlock. She isn’t supposed to be a replica for Sherlock, as she is a descendant and not just a “female Sherlock,” so I don’t expect her character to be exactly like his. I just would have wanted something different, for my personal preference. (If I’m being contradictory, it’s because I’m confused too. I like certain aspects of Charlotte and her vulnerabilities but some parts of it I don’t like.)

So with spoilers: (view spoiler)

Now, as for Jamie Watson. He’s adorable. He’s a teenage boy who craves to be a partner-in-crime for a Holmes. I find the concept of the plot very fun and intriguing with him meeting a descendant of Sherlock Holmes. And because he is a descendant of Watson, he feels a natural inclination to be friends with Holmes. It’s interesting that we have 2 long lines of descendants of Holmes and Watsons and there are certain expectations for these 2 teenagers. Their friendship is cute.

And do I ship it? Of course, duh, how can I not? There’s something magical about the relationship and strong bond between Holmes and Watson. Always. And of course, I like the “just friends” concept too, but in this, it is interesting to see it dips towards the more romantic area. I don’t know how that is going to work out because I just can’t quite grasp a truly romanticized Holmes and Watson. It might get TOO sappy, which can be a problem depending on how the author plays this later on. BUT still, I do want them to be together in this particular retelling, and I can’t wait to see how the author will develop this in later books.

I also find the side plot with him and his estranged father interesting. (view spoiler)

I actually really love how the epilogue was structured. It is nice to see Charlotte’s perspective after getting Jamie’s perspective for the whole of the book. Her reveals are very interesting, and makes me certain scenes/characters in a different light based on her view.

So, overall, I don’t know how I feel about this book. I don’t love or hate it. I think I’m feeling ambivalent, so 2.5 stars. I like the concept of the book with the teenage descendants of Holmes and Watson, and I’m excited that this an ongoing mystery series. However, I don’t love everything about the characters and plot points. I will definitely read the later books, and see how things might develop.

Things that you might want to know (WARNING: Spoilers below)
Happy/satisfying ending? (view spoiler)
Love triangle? Cheating? Angst level? Other things to note? (view spoiler)
Tears-worthy? (view spoiler)
Humor? (view spoiler)
Favorite scenes? (view spoiler)
What age level would be appropriate? (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Charlotte.

December 3, 2015 – Shelved
December 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 26, 2018 – Started Reading
May 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: 2-and-a-half-stars
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

shortcake ;) I LOVED this! Hope you enjoy <3

Sharon Shortcake wrote: "I LOVED this! Hope you enjoy <3"

Thank you! I'm enjoying it so far~ :)