Rosamund's Reviews > The Rings of Saturn

The Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald

bookshelves: to-read, travel, in-translation, read-2019

Where do you even start to review a book like this? It's not my first venture into Sebald's writing, so I knew what to expect. For the sake of transparency, one of the reasons I read it was for research.

I want to give it five stars because it gave me shivers at times, especially since I have a personal connection to several of the places explored, and also because of the themes of impermanence (in a week where the news cycle has been focused on the obviated complete loss of Notre Dame de Paris, this felt very timely). Tears at that final sentence. It says it all!

However, Sebald, mate, you're not fooling us with your tangents into completely random pockets of forgotten history; some of the connections are very tenuous. Readers are probably divided into two camps: getting carried away into these trips down (someone else's) memory lane and enjoying the ride, or finding themselves getting a bit impatient. So I have to subtract a star for that.

Otherwise, ein sehr gelungenes Werk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rings of Saturn.

December 3, 2015 – Shelved