Cindy Reid's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Feb 04, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, favorites, young-adult, dystopia, post-apocalyptic

** spoiler alert ** Mockingjay for me was much more depressing than the first two. It sailed right along just the same, with as much suspense and drama, but without the sense of adventure. The entire time I was reading it, I still had the "what happens next?" part of me pushing on, but it was emotionally draining.

Before the book started, I was genuinely worried about how she would choose between Gale and Peeta. How could she break one of their hearts. As sad as it was, I'm happy with how it turned out.

Although sad, Prim's death was not the hardest part- or even the reality that her mother was now alone in life. It was the death of Finnick. I had completely fallen in love with his character and once I read the part involving his death I had to set the book down and be done for a little while. I needed time to come to grips with it.

I'm also so thankful that it didn't end on a sad note. Although the epilogue was very short and a bit weak, I was happy with the message. Overall, I think Mockingjay wrapped up the trilogy nicely, and although much more of a downer than the first two, there really was no other way to end it, in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Cindy Reid Liked

Suzanne Collins
“What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay