Kate O'Hanlon's Reviews > A Rope of Thorns

A Rope of Thorns by Gemma Files

Feb 04, 2011

bookshelves: weird-west, horror, lgbt
Read from July 11 to 25, 2011

Another delectable serving of blood, sex and psycho Aztec gods.

We've reached the 'characters wander about, seemingly aimlessly, instead of getting on with what they claim they're intent on doing' second book, this should be familiar to any frequent peruser of trilogies. Files uses this lacuna to good effect though by focusing mostly on character and world development.

The whole book is character development bootcamp for Chess, who has to grow up and realize that killing people doesn't make people like you, it just makes them dead (or something to that effect).
He and Morrow also have to deal with their changed (and changing) relationship and what that means for both of them.
My heart broke for the Chess at times, mean bastard that he may be, there's no denying that he's had it rough.

Files also brings in some new characters. (view spoiler)
I was wary of new characters muscling in on the ot3 of Chess, Morrow and Rook but Yancey was quite a strong addition, much more than just a set up for an inevitable 'pair the spares' happy ending (I'm guessing) she also facilitated some of Chess's emotional growth, and did so without being just a prop. The scene where Chess teaches Yancey how to shoot is a particularly brilliant.

In the next book I also want to hear more about Yiska, who made me sit up straight and yell "A lesbian shaman Native American shooting people down with arrows? Fucking A!" (or something to that effect), but then didn't get much to do.

Some pacing problems (see paragraph two), but over all a wicked ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rope of Thorns.

07/11/2011 page 41
07/25/2011 page 228
67.0% "I am continually delighted with how this book is going. I read it on my lunch break with a big stupid grin on my face."
show 7 hidden updates…