Angela M's Reviews > The Ancient Minstrel

The Ancient Minstrel by Jim Harrison

bookshelves: netgalley-reviews, edelweiss-reviews, abandoned-not-for-me

I recently read another book about an aging poet , Thomas Murphy, so I can't help but compare the first novella in this collection to it and I can't help but be less than enthusiastic about this one. I fell in love with Thomas Murphy and I will remain faithful. I know that Jim Harrison is a beloved and prolific author and this was my first time reading him so maybe I ought to try something else by him.

This is story about an aging writer , an alcoholic who still drinks wine , has physical ailments , loses his sexual desire , and starts to raise pigs. I don't mean to sound flip . It just wasn't for me .It was promising at first but just didn't grab me . I am not rating it since I am not finishing it or the other two stories in the collection. I'm guessing that I may be an outlier here since his books seem to have fairly high ratings on Goodreads .

Thanks to Grove Press , NetGalley and Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ancient Minstrel.

December 2, 2015 – Shelved
December 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 4, 2016 – Started Reading
March 5, 2016 –
March 5, 2016 – Shelved as: edelweiss-reviews
March 5, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley-reviews
March 5, 2016 – Shelved as: abandoned-not-for-me
March 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Oh dear. But thanks for the reminder to look for Thomas Murphy

message 2: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Esil , he has good ratings, so it could be just my mood or just not my cup of tea . I would definitely recommend Thomas Murphy.

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Mar 05, 2016 06:16PM) (new) - added it

Sandra Sorry to hear it wasn't for you. I'm looking forward to read Thomas Murphy though.

message 4: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Sandra, hope you love TM too . Are you planning to read this one ?

message 5: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Not sure yet, thought it looked interesting, but still have some doubts. Especially after your review.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Flippant, definitely not you! Always enjoy your perspective Angela.

message 7: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Carol , thanks! Appreciate your comments.

message 8: by Debbie "DJ" (new)

Debbie "DJ" Thanks for your honesty Angela. I'm with you, sometimes a book just doesn't work and no need to force finish it. Will check out Thomas Murphy. :)

message 9: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Thanks , DJ. I may be in the minority but it just didn't click .