Becca's Reviews > A Daring Proposition

A Daring Proposition by Jennifer Greene

Feb 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance, contemporary-romance, netgalley, books-read-in-2011, arc-s

Leigh desperately wants a child, but past sexual abuse has led her to fear all men. She believes that she is not capable of a regular relationship so she wants to use artificial insemination to get pregnant. Leigh has the perfect candidate in mind too, Brian is a successful architect whose creative, good looking, and is a complete playboy. Leigh believes that he is the perfect man because he has made it publicly known he doesn't want marriage and a family. But when Brian comes back with a proposal of his own, marriage, she has to decide how much she wants this baby. Brian believes that Leigh is the perfect woman for marriage because she can provide companionship and keep all of the other husband-hunters away from him.

Throughout the story Brian and Leigh typically begin to fall in love especially since they must fake it for Robert, a pseudo-grandpa figure that lives with Leigh, and also for Brian's family who are big romantics. Brian teaches Leigh to trust and open up about her feelings, while Leigh shows Brian that he doesn't always have to take care of everyone. This book was only told from the perspective of Leigh, but every now and then it would seem we would get a sentence from Brian's point of view. I found myself wishing for more of Brian's point of view because I would have really liked to know what he was thinking. Most of the time Leigh couldn't tell therefore me as the reader could not really understand what he was feeling either.

The only other aspect of the book I didn't really care for was when Brian was never at home, and Robert didn't find that suspicious. Even when Leigh was pregnant and feeling ill Brian wasn't always around, and then suddenly he was always there. There was no transition from nothing to everything. I would have to see some realization on his part that he cared, and wanted to help with the baby and Leigh.

I would give this book 3-3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Daring Proposition.